Thought I was going to die delivering for Family Dollar.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by A Bug, Jun 21, 2015.

1. jescott418

jescott418 Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Mt Morris,IL
    The sad part is enough people do this and get paid far less than a professional lumper does for the same work. This basically happens with OTR deliver routes than driving a beer truck, or food service truck. Those guys at least get paid better for lumping. I worked for about a week once delivering for a freezer warehouse. We delivered to food store warehouses in Chicago area. I swear I did far more hours lumping than driving. Same happened one summer I worked for a hardware chain delivering to stores. Again, nobody at the stores wants to help you. There facilities are not always good and sometimes you end up out in lousy weather all day long for peanuts. But unfortunately all the driver can do is not agree to work these kind of routes unless the pay is respectful of your effort.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckinCrazy

TruckinCrazy Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Michigan
    Been there, done that and I will never do it again. Took a lot of years but I finally have a cushy regional route that pays extremely well. Wish you the best of luck and hang in there.

4. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    I just did a 2 stopper with a trainer in springfield, mass , yesterday. 48' trailer. 2,756 boxes.
    today, my forearms a bit sore. My back sore. Quite amazing how the executives seem to think that a truck driver, who's responsible for delivering a load is now responsible for unloading 2700 boxes.

The response and remedy I have to this difficult position is:
    Drink gatorade, and pace yourself. (truly exhausting)
    take a 1/2 hour nap after each stop. to recharge

each store takes about 6 hours to unload. It takes a day to unload a whole trailer. safely. we are paid $100 per trailer and $33 per stop.

Still on the fence about this account. Need to make a decision on Monday if I will proceed or not.

5. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Your trying out the family dollar deal? With summer time temperatures right around the corner I would think hard about it lol... Good luck to you

6. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    I delivered for the Family Dollar account for another week in January and it was nowhere near as bad as it was when I first started this thread. The outdoor temperature really makes all the difference.

Still though I would never want to take on this job everyday even if it was way up in Canada somewhere.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  7. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Its brutal. No doubt.

8. canviskiller

canviskiller Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2013
    texas
    Are you still on the Goodyear account?

9. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    Yes I am. I like the account, but every once in a while they throw us onto a different random jbhunt account when Goodyear deliveries are slow for the week. At least we can never complain about having to sit.

10. GoodManMadTrucker

GoodManMadTrucker Bobtail Member

May 27, 2016
    I do the Family Dollar account for Chicago and Saint Louis with Schneider and its true when you first start your going feel it. I came in thinking that my O.C had Trailers that was fitted with liftgates. Nope 6 rollers for a whole 48 to 53inch trailers. Have to back in tight areas make turns in tight alleys without hitting anything. Sleep at the store if you dont have time to leave. Leave before you finsh if your company doesnt want you sleeping in the area. Dealing with upset slow family dollar employees sometimes. It can get to you if you cant handle it.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  11. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    With all the trucking jobs available, WHY? Especially for garbage companies that could care less about you

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.