Thought I would do a thread on my on going jb hunt experience

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Md420, May 23, 2016.

1. Md420

Md420 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Tn
    I posted a thread in the jb hunt forum about how I felt about them but this one is going to be a on going thread about me working for JB Hunt.

I have 8 years under my belt. I ran over 6 of them with a carrier out of VA doing alot of northeastern type regional but we did alot of Ohio and the Carolina's also. I made decent money there as I averaged around $45k to $46k a year and was home every weekend. Me and the vice president of said company did not see eye to eye about some stuff so I left. I spent a couple years screwing around with local/yard jocky work but it dont pay in my area.

I seen a add on Craigslist about a dcs position with JB Hunt so I inquired and the things the recruitment department told me sounded good so I decided to take a chance on it, the worst that could happen is that I found these statements untrue and would find another job. I am a very hard worker, very dedicated to doing my job right and being respectfull but I have no tolerance for bs and will call somebody on it in a split second. I also demand respect as I give it constantly. With that out of the way here we go.

I went to orientation in Charlotte. It was 3 days, the normal crap. Drug test, paper work, videos, driving test. The instructor and his assistants were cool and layed back. They did feed us a very good lunch every day. Got done with that by Wednesday and went back home.

Left out the following Sunday with my trainer(he came through where I live and picked me up). Trained for 7 business days, stayed in a hotel every night and at home on the weekend. My dm is a girl, about 33, and is as nice and accommodating as they come. The account manager is also, there is the account manager and 3 dm's that over see the account where I run out of.

I got my truck, new prostar/isx 15 10 speed, yes it is slow at 62mph and yes it is gutless but it only had 30k miles on it when I got it and they are kept up nicely. I dont run many miles because thats not where I make my money but as far as the truck goes JB Hunt does not play around in my experience with them. If it needs anything it gets it immediately.

Now on to what I was told by the recruitment department and the reality of what I have seen.

I was told $3000 sign on bonus. As of now i have gotten $2100 of it. The full balance is to be paid to me on my 6 month anniversary( started 2/10/16).

I was told home weekends for 34 to 48 hours. This is mostly true, I have had 2 occasions where I only got about 24 hours at home but I got in late and the reasoning had 0 to do with JB, their truck, or their routing. The places I delivered had lazy ### employs and they held me up.

I was told that I would make $60,000 a year. Truth is I am on pace to hit $68,000 in my first year. They said I would gross around $1050 to $1100 a week while I am averaging $1300.

The milage portion that they pay me for is fairly accurate. From the dc to each stop then back. They started me at $.46 a mile and there have been no discrepancies in my milage, stop, or trailer pay(paid $105 per trailer I empty)

About 3 weeks ago I got sick. I shut down on sunday night at my first delivery for monday morning at 0600. I was bad sick, no energy, body aches, dizzy, basicly flu like symptoms. I didn't wake up untill 1000. I called in to apologize and tell them I was sick and that I would still attempt to run my route(very labor intensive unloading process) and they instructed me to un hook my trailer, park next to it, and go back to sleep. Said to get rested and call on Tuesday morning with a update on how I felt. They had someone repower the load while I was sleeping and left a m/t. I woke up Tuesday feeling worse, they dead headed me 320 miles home and paid me the milage plus $600 of my bonus to keep money in my pocket(I made $890 that week and did nothing)

I will say that everything I have heard about JB has turned out to be false. This is also the first time I have worked for a mega and that isn't as bad as far I had imagined also. Now I know I have only been here a short while and I know that not all have had this experience with this company but this is purely through my eyes. I am not saying to come work here, I am not saying that other areas of the company are like this I am saying that so far JB Hunt treats me better than I have been in the past.

This will be an ongoing thread as I plan to explore other dcs accounts and with that comes different dm's and account managers.

If you have any question feel free to ask but I ask that this not turn into a JB Hunt hate thread. I don't crap on other peoples informative threads so don't do it to mine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    How much were you making doing yard jockey work?

4. Md420

Md420 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Tn
    $12.80/hr. Time and a half after 40 hours a week. Got 45 hours a week and had to drive my personal vehicle 103 miles round trip per day to work and back.

Dark_Majesty_06 Thanks this.
  5. diesellover22

diesellover22 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2013
    Western u.s
    Good to see you having a good experience there , Sometimes you cant believe everything some people say in this industry.

horsecrazychic22 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. Md420

Md420 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Tn
    Well alot of times there are more than one side of it and people's perception of reality is skewed by anger, bias, or an opinion that is outdated.

ncmickey and horsecrazychic22 Thank this.
  7. diesellover22

Jul 24, 2013
    Western u.s
    Thats What i ment by that. Some people have a bad experience and think everyone will have the same experience as them.

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  8. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

JB Hunt used to be right up there with Swift and CR England years ago, so there reputation was well deserved. They've changed substantially.

RookieJ1987 Thanks this.
  9. diesellover22

Jul 24, 2013
    Western u.s
    I agree things can change and past drivers wouldnt know different, then what they went through during there time there.

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  10. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    Jb hunt might treat their drivers better but they're still bad for trucking. I used to be a fm there and at corporate they would always tell us their business model for dcs is to underbid and put good paying trucking companies out of business.

11. Dark_Majesty_06

Dark_Majesty_06 Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    How was it transitioning from local back to gone weekly? I'm doing the same thing and need some encouragement on that part.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    RookieJ1987 and horsecrazychic22 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.