Thoughts on international 9200i

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Bdog, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Looking at buying a day cab to haul my own equipment to jobsites. Max load would be about 25k on an flatbed that weighs about 11k. Nothing super heavy.

I have found several 2005-2007 9200i models with either a cummins isx or cat c-13 and ten speeds. HP on both is in the low 400's. Mileage ranges from 400-700k

Our jobsites are typically 200-500 miles away and we go to each one for a week or so. Maybe two sites per month so maybe 1000 miles per month on average on the truck.

I am not going to be OTR or in this thing everyday but I want to be comfortable driving it and I need something reliable and able to run 70mph down the freeway as I will have the rest of my crew in a couple pickups following me.

Are these decent trucks for my application? Anything particular to worry about on them? My budget is 20-30k and I am not seeing much else out there in daycabs without a ton of miles.

I have a class A and took my road test in a full size truck with a sleeper and a van but my extent of driving experience other than the test has been dump trucks hauling pintle trailers with backhoes. The smaller day cabs, shorter wheelbase and being able to look out the rear window makes me feel more comfortable for some reason. I don't know why but a big long truck with a sleeper makes me nervous and I think it might be harder getting into some of the places we have to go.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GiantBeard

GiantBeard Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Petaluma/Indio, CA
    I'd you don't need a sleeper, then don't buy one. It's super nice, when you're driving all day, everyday, but it would just inconvenience you, in regards to your purposes.

From what I can read, you make about 2-4 trips per month, that range from 4 to 8 hours, on average.

For reference, I make two 1,100 mile trips every week, taking two days to complete.

If my runs were shorter, I'd be all about using a back window. It's safer, and that's what it's really all about.

That's just my opinion though. I'm no expert. Hell, I've only been at this for about 2 months! :-D

4. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I am pretty set on a daycab. Even if I was staying overnight my crew in the pickups would need the motels so the sleeper is no real benefit. I am not going to put them all up in a motel with tv and a hot shower and sleep in the parking lot.

The downside is searching truck paper there seem to be 50 sleeper trucks for every day cab you find.

Any thoughts on this particular model of truck? Any preference I should have towards the isx or c-13?

5. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    A 9200 would be fine. I would go Cummins but that's my personal preference

6. Pool6710

Pool6710 Medium Load Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Minnesnowta
    I wouldn't go with the twin turbo c13 or isx.

I have a 03 c12 that is better, have you found any with a Detroit?

You could possibly run a single axle freightliner Columbia with a Detroit for about 8-10k.

7. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    The closest single axle Columbia I have found is a 2007 in Iowa and I am in Texas. It has a Detroit 12.7 and they are asking 24,900 for it.

8. scottlav46

scottlav46 Road Train Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Escanaba, MI
    That detroit is pretty bulletproof man. I always liked the 9200 series. Should work out awesome for you. Good luck and happy hunting.

9. RidinDirty11

RidinDirty11 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Some good posts here. I also would stick with a C12 over Cummins. I have a C12 and it easy to work on, and just about bullet proof. I also run Cummins, but N14's I would stay away from the ISX. I have one in the fleet, but the dual overhead cams a pain, and known to eat the cams. Detroit is a good choice. Another bulletproof engine. They are known for eating bull nose gears, but they are very good engines. Work on all of my own equipment, including engines. Here is how I rate them, for dependability and ease to work on.
    1. Cummins N14 ( They pull very well, and like working on the old Chevy small blocks. Very simple). They are like the energizer bunny and just go and go)
    2. Cat C12, 3406 E and early C15 ( pretty much any of the single turbo's, also rock solid)
    3. Detroit S60 ( pre 2007) Points taken away for bull nose and setting the cam after removal, bullet proof when running good, and best for fuel mileage.)
    4 Cummin's ISX ( crappy egr sysytem, (need wedges to set cam ).

10. lchan

lchan Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2017
    What would be the common diseases on the C13s?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.