ticket in nj

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by sm0205, Jun 29, 2015.

1. sm0205

sm0205 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Husband got a ticket in NJ for being in the left lane briefly. He has been summoned to go to court in NJ and has already rescheduled since he could not go to the given date between work and us being from MA.

We keep getting ads from lawyers in the mail saying how they can help etc. Apparently the offense would put 2 points on his license. I called one of the firms today and they said for $250 they will represent him in court (he would not need to be present) and they could get rid of the two points on his license and stop his insurance from increasing (something like that, I did not fully understand)... He works for Schneider right now. We are not sure whats the best thing to do...He is in the process of getting a new job...How will this affect his record? Any personal experiences with this?

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    250 to keep points and insurance down. That's easy, pay the money. He makes a living by his license, do what it takes to protect it.

average joe and HorseShoe Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Back in the day, this was standard operating procedure for truckers. You get a ticket, you first call the court clerk and see what he/she may be able to offer in lieu of court appearance, then you go to the yellow pages in that area and start calling attorneys until you find one who's interested. I haven't gotten a ticket in over 15 years but -most- of the lawyers out there who did that sort of thing then could be trusted, however, that said, you can find one, send them money and get zero out of the attorney. It's a crap shoot, but at the very least if you do work with one, and they don't keep you updated regularly, make sure you call them to see if they're awake and doing their job.

merlinn Thanks this.
  5. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Even if it costs you $1,000 for a lawyer get one. That license and his record are the keys to income.

Of course research/find reviews about the laywer before you hire him/her.

6. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Schneider in the third lane....my o my. Hope he gets it taken care of.

7. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Exactly, I have a good life. I wouldn't know how to make a living if I couldn't truck. Of all my possessions though, my CDL is my favorite and most precious. I'd sell my house, cars and all my toys to protect it. Because without it I have no idea how I would ever get any of the others back.

HorseShoe Thanks this.
  8. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Give him a break...He was trying to pass the other pumpkins

77smartin Thanks this.
  9. average joe

average joe Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Should have it framed

10. merlinn

merlinn Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Monroe, Michigan
    I had a similar problem in Ohio. I went to court myself, explained to the judge that I screwed up and my record (clean then as now) indicated this ticket was an obvious aberration. He told me to be more careful next time, fined me $100 (could have ben as much as $500) and agreed to suspend for a year the points as I had asked. After the year with no other violations, the incident didn't appear on my record. It can't hurt to go to court as long as you leave the attitude at home. I wouldn't pay a lawyer more than the maximum a fine could be.

11. sm0205

sm0205 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Thanks for sharing. I wish I knew this could happen and the judge would be understanding. I dont think he is willing to take the risk. Glad you managed to figure it out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.