TIME 4 @ INFRAME? Cant decide top or bottom

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by DetroitSpecial, May 24, 2015.

1. DetroitSpecial

DetroitSpecial Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Im trying to decide on my over haul its hard.
    Truck runs good, just changed the injectors heres a quick video of me doing a test run on my new injectors,i also changed a bad rocker arm that was rubbing into my camshaft,now i have to replace that as well,boy o boy.

So my truck is sound and strong, but i believe its time for a overhaul,guy i bought it from said a rack job was done a few years ago, but i dont trust that, roughly at 1.2 mill mileage, i believe i see some small coolant leaking along side under the head gasket, when im running but the truck isnt running hot but i have to refill coolant, so heres my dilemma, should i just run the top half,like new water pump, thermostats, hoses,boil my radiator, camshaft, turbo, belts, head gaskets, valve covers and so on or should i run top and bottom,sleeves, pistons, new oil, check bullgear and get it over with.

I was thinking bout going get a compression test done at the shop and if that runs good then do just the top or say heck with it and run the whole thing, i priced overhaul kits for my truck pre egr at around $2500 and some change also any of you guys that ran a overhaul, let me know what all did yall change top or top and bottom and is there any thing else you would suggest i do on this inframe.

Thanks in advance, o yeah dont worry bout the oil dripping down,getting entire motor pressure washed and clean lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    I would do a complete in frame top and bottom. I had a 99 fld with a 60 series and had a wrist pin let go and was told that was common for Detroit's with high mileage .

4. DetroitSpecial

Mar 18, 2015
    Im kind of leaning in that direction,i do all my work on my truck myself but i dont have all the tools to complete this large task,so i got 2 options i know a guy that will do it for a decent price and he takes his time,or i can bring it to a shop,only problem is im in louisiana and dont really know any shops thats trustworthy with that type of project,do you know any good,trustable dependable shops in the south?

5. taxihacker66

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    Can't help ya there as I live north of the border. T.o.

6. DetroitSpecial

Mar 18, 2015
    Lol thanks anyway bud

7. ipogsd

ipogsd Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Does it use oil?

8. DetroitSpecial

Mar 18, 2015
    Yea it does,but not much but if it uses any its not a good thing,so over all yea it do

9. taxihacker66

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    I was told by a engine builder (Cummins for 30years) that all engine's use oil. If you add 2 or 3 litters
    in between your oil change (11 to 12 k) that is normal.

crankit2152 Thanks this.
  10. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    If you're gonna get into it . . . . ya know ?

11. DetroitSpecial

Mar 18, 2015
    Ya know what let me guess? If ya going to get into it, then get all da way into it ? Lmao is that what u meant by that statement

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.