TIME OR NOT TIME TO OVERHAUL

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by lady doe, Jan 1, 2016.

1. josh polk

josh polk Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Bowie TX
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. My CAT is an MX motor, I would suggest , have rods and main caps done on the crank shaft. It will buy some more life. Have an overhead with injector cups replaced. Have this done at a CAT shop. (If they break anything they have the parts)

Save up your pennies, you can get an Inframe kit for $3800. And $500. For new water pump. Pm me I can get you more info for when you decide to get it done.

Watch your oil consumption, once you get close to a gallon every 1000 miles. Your MX is getting tired.

Big chance of head gasket to blow. It is not worth just tearing apart head to change head gasket. For $5,000 on up. When you can get your motor redone for another $5k plus head rebuild $3k.

Watch diesel in overflow of radiator, that's injector cups.

antifreeze being pushed out overflow hose is head gasket or injector cups.

Good luck. Save your bucks. Keep the truck.

josh polk and lady doe Thank this.
  4. lady doe

lady doe Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE, I KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN IT REALLY GET TIME TO DO THE OVERHAUL. THEN TRYING TO FINE THE BEST MECHANIC TO DO THE COMPLETE JOB. THANKS YOU GUYS, YOU ARE THE BEST. LADY DOE.

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Not to be a dick just picking an argument but I would suggest never replacing the rods and mains on any C15 until the motor is being inframed. To put it simply it is a waste of money and will not buy you any time on an inframe that's on the horizon.

Case in point. A few years ago my oil pressure dropped from normal 62 p.s.i. down to 57 p.s.i. under a load at operating temp. Even at idle it was down the same 5 p.s.i.

This concerned me greatly. I spoke with my local CAT house about it. They suggested to leave the rods and mains alone. That my oil pressure was well within spec and the bearings were more than likely perfectly fine. I insisted that it be done anyway.

So $1,800 later I got my 5 p.s.i. back. Then about 100,000 miles later a hairline crack in a liner and I ended up spending about $27,000 on an inframe.

But anyways when i just had them doing rods/mains before the big one happened they showed me my old rods and mains and there was nothing critically wear wise with any of them. They told me they could have lasted several years more and many hundreds of thousands of miles. So $1,800 for absolutely nothing......

The bottom end on CAT's are pretty much bullet proof. You do not need to replace rod and main bearings as any sort of periodic or routine maintenance. Save your money for the big one OP cause you're going to need it.

Cat sdp and lady doe Thank this.
  6. josh polk

Dec 20, 2015
    Bowie TX

Just how many trucks u own cowboy u come at me
    The worst thing u could of said is u talk to ur local cat dealer anyone that's been in this Business knows thy don't have a back bone and don't know ####
    I had a one of our trucks platinum OH 82k miles later cam was eat up thy told my it was from dry starting it CAT is a bunch of spine less SOB I own 20+ trucks with all CAT I will not use CAT house For ####
    Put that in ur pipe and smoke it
    I'm out

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I've got no love for cat period ......

Doing a bearing roll is a waste nowadays ......times change. By the time the bearings are shot the whole thing needs to be done .

Mr Polk I'm guessing you put that kit in... And they blamed you.?

lady doe and rollin coal Thank this.
  8. josh polk

Dec 20, 2015
    Bowie TX
    I'm just a idiot I flip burgers at Mickey Ds
    I ride the short bus with my helmet on who took my crayons
    Dang it

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Whoa, whoa Nelly! You act like I just kicked your dog or something. I just pointed out the truth and didn't even quote your post! Calm down hero. Doing a bearing roll in on a C15 CAT any time other than inframe is a complete waste of time and money.

I don't know what CAT house screwed you over but the one I use is actually pretty good at what they do. Like I said they tried to talk me out of this unnecessary waste of money rolling in rods and mains but I insisted.

As far as your camshaft failure goes who really knows what happened there. I can tell you when mine was platinum inframed they inspected the cam and showed me scratch marks over many of the lobes. They said I could run it and it would be ok, probably, but they suggested I replace it with new if I wanted the camshaft covered by warranty. I opted to spend an extra $1,000 for a new cam shaft. Many people choose to cut corners when they inframe a motor then blame someone else when an old worn out part fails that they tried to cheap out on.

blairandgretchen and AModelCat Thank this.
  10. josh polk

Dec 20, 2015
    Bowie TX
    I'm just saying bro iv bone this and made $$$ from the extra mile with my trucks
    Seems every thing I post on this site someone try's to ack like I'm stupid
    I'm sorry RC I should of thought out my reply
    I apologize JP

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  11. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    WOW Just WOW is all I can say. The lady asked a question and read where it went. #### women can get guys all excited and stupid. DDSS

goin2fast10 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.