TIME OR NOT TIME TO OVERHAUL

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by lady doe, Jan 1, 2016.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Back in 1977 a bearing roll would be necessary. With the advancements of oil in the last 30 years and the vast improvements in machining processes and materials, I got to agree and say bearing rolls are a thing of the past. I attended a Chevron presentation a number of years back and they compared 15w-40 CJ-4 designated oil with what was produced in the 70's and the CJ-4 is at least 5x better than what was produced in the 70's.

If your oil pressure is still within manufacturers specs, there is likely no excessive wear in the bottom end/camshaft. No sense shutting down and throwing money at something that ain't broken.

blairandgretchen and rollin coal Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. josh polk

josh polk Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Bowie TX
    No sir Cat certified mechanic shop done the OH

4. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    I fully agree with you, you described yourself perfectly

josh polk Thanks this.
  5. OK bearing roll, I did at 800k. I posted the bearing on here some place. I have the pics here some where. The bearing from one rod where warn down t thru three layers.
    motorshot.jpg

I've had my exposure to motors, small like above and large CAT motors.

I rolled in the CAT bearing and gave me more miles, 200k .

OP,
    Keep an eye on your motor, if it acts up fix it. As long as you maintain your truck it will last you a while.

Use this site to make a educated judgement on how your to proceed. @rollin coal and @NorthernMechanic as well as myself can give an opinion. It your money your call in the end.

josh polk and AModelCat Thank this.
  6. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Do oil samples that will tell alot. Smoke out of the blowby tube is normal on the msx a-certs. It is not because of more air. It is from the oil mist caused from the actuators working the oil from the oil they spray out the actuator exhaust ports. I would recommend doing an overhead to keep valve and injectors in adjustment. And check the hold down bolts while they are in there.

7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri

Granted this is an N14, with over a million.

Oil samples showed increased/increasing copper and lead. I picked up a couple of pounds oil pressure, and then followed it up with a new oil pump to be sure.

I've no experience with CAT, only heard the opinion that bearing rolls weren't necessary - as @NorthernMechanic put, older school thinking, perhaps from mechanical engine days with more fuel dilution/older oil technology.

I was goaded by a couple of older drivers into doing it, the samples backed it up - who knows - the old girl may throw the toys out of the cot in another 100k miles and it have been a general waste of time.

Just my 1.5 cents (rates are down)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    peterbilt_2005 and Cat sdp Thank this.
  8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You did the right thing with your N14 Blair. Fretting is a known issue with that motor. Back when you mentioned you were going to have it done I thought it was unnecessary until I did more reading. My rods and mains with almost 1 million miles didn't look anything like yours in fact most of them had not worn thru that first layer.

9. Looks better than mine did... But not by much

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.