Tinted windows

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Midwest1, Aug 20, 2015.

1. csettles85

csettles85 Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Washington, DC
    Got u....see these type of rules are meaningless to me anyway bcuz I have my mind set on doing wat I wanna do...if I want tints I'ma get em regardless of the law...I had 20% on one of my company trucks b4...never had any issues not to say someone else wont

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    15% on mine and 5 maybe 6 fix it tickets in Utah and Nevada They'll never make me take it off. Dot can eat dog ----

[​IMG]

Badmon Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yep I got it but here is something to think about, it's the risk manager in me ... One of my drivers was working for a company and they had tinted windows on their trucks, really tinted windows. He was pulling out of the company yard one night with the windows down and he had a car run right into him, booooooom!!!! She took out the fuel tank and the front drive axle and twisted the frame. She did't even try to stop and she was a little drunk, so it was obvious she was at fault.

She was screwed up by the accident, in a wheel chair for life, her kid lost an eye and so on. The investigator for her lawyer who was suing the carrier saw that there were two issues with the truck, one was the marker lights were not the right dot approved lights and the other but truly mitigating thing was the tinted windows. They went to court. It was the third week of the law suit when this was all presented to the jury. The insurance company lawyer was angry at these issues and said we settle out of court. The carrier ended up paying a large settlement, the insurance company paid a larger settlement and the driver got fired. No accidents on his record, he has a great reputation with the carrier I am leased to and the customers are very happy with him but this one thing screwed his career up to the point when he applied to drive for me, he was really unsure that he would be able to drive any more.

I read the court papers of his case, so what he said was true and the tinted windows thing is discussed in detail by all involved, including the judge.

Oh by the way, I wish I could get 50% reduction tinting on anything I drive because of the burn on my arm I suffered 30 years ago, the sun does a number on it, the docs said no problem but I am stuck at the limit of the law here. It is a pain to work doing what I do and having to deal with a glob of sun screen which gets washed off every two hours.

brian991219, S M D and 12 ga Thank this.
  5. csettles85

Feb 24, 2015
    Washington, DC
    I love those black rims

Badmon and S M D Thank this.
  6. csettles85

Feb 24, 2015
    Washington, DC
    Wow that's effing crazy

7. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Childress, TX off 287 will make you remove the tint

8. NHL_fan

NHL_fan Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NoVa
    I have 35% tint on my truck for 2 years and love it. Got 2 tickets, one in LA $70 and one in MO $99. Both times young DOT cops, i guess they r trying to do everything by the book. Im pretty sure I could avoid that by rolling windows down before I pull on a scale. Recently had level 1 in VA and officer told me something about tint and low visor but no ticket.

9. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Yeah the tickets are no biggie. But the $1100 fine for "failure to correct defects found on previous inspection" is what stings

Badmon and truckon Thank this.
  10. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    As it's been said, 70% is the limit. Your not going to get pulled over for 70% as it's not even really noticeable. Doesn't seem like much but thats still blocking 30% of the light transmission and if you go with ceramic tint most of the heat is blocked as well.

Unfortunately not. Doctors can't override a states / feds regulation. I can print off a very official looking "Doctors Note" right now if I wanted, won't do me any good. States that allow tint waivers typically add it to your registration so if your pulled over the cop can't debate it. But when it comes to the trucks who knows if thats even on option. Being a Fed regulation I'd assume the cops wouldn't have to acknowledge it if they didn't want to.

As an example look at my Ranger, the rear and to back door windows are factory privacy glass (20%) thanks to my states crappy tint laws the doors are both 50%, but looks a lot darker thanks to the rears and dark gray interior. You don't need to go THAT dark to get a nice look. Being ceramic tint they block most heat and that doesn't change with light transmission levels.

2015-08-23 11.57.19.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    When I get my new truck I'm going to stick with 35% on the front. That should keep some of the sun out and keep me legal. Would like to go with 20% on the front but it's not worth the possible tickets, fines etc

truckon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.