Tipping at the Truck Wash

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TampaTony, May 6, 2016.

1. TampaTony

TampaTony Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2015
    How many of you leave a tip to the person or persons that wash your truck? If you do how much? I would like to tip but it's hard to spare the money sometimes, after I am a truck driver.

CargoWahgo and scottied67 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hyweighman

Hyweighman Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    For me if it's a blue becon no. If it a smaller truck wash and it's 2 guys doing it I probably will. Last time it took them 90mins.trk/trailer.I gave each 10 bucks.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Not knowing this little etiquette thing is why I never get my truck washed. Early on I did and tipped the guy $20 bucks and told him to buy his crew some beer because it was Friday. then the last time I had my bobtail washed on hometime I gave the guy $5 bucks and he seemed shocked like that never happens. So then I feel like a fool and gave away my money for nothing.

5. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I never tip at the Blue Beacon.

On Wednesday I grabbed my load at M&M Carthage in Louisville, in the little guard shack the guard pointed out his donation jar for ALS, I ignored him. The second time he mentioned it, I told him it says his wife died of it in 2009 and I gave him my "screw you " laugh.

I only tip bartenders and barbers, and never ever for food to go

CaptainDaveG Thanks this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    We only use blue beacon account and never see any use in tipping there.

On a side note I was at a Salt Grass Steakhouse and the bar tender was responsible for assembling to-go orders. Some outfit ordered $350 worth of food and the person picking up the order only had $5.00 to tip. The guy was a little miff'd. Had to ignore his bar customers and drink orders and took him a good 15 minutes to put everything together. Then double checked everything with the customer, all for $5

lee2442 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    to me, they get paid a wage, livable or not.

only a waiter or waitress gets any tip form me, and THAT depends on the service i get. lousy service? NO TIP

i don't know how or when this tipping crap came to be. but it gets out of hand, when someone gets a paycheck that is at minimum wage or above, and we have to even consider tipping them?

if you want to tip, then do so. but i'd not go above $10 for a truck wash.

look at it in another way. suppose you frequent the same truck wash time after time, and you tip.

then one day, you are short on cash, and cannot tip. what looks will you get, for not tipping, and what service will you get the next time you go there?

screw it.

waiters and waitresses only, these are the ones usually making LESS than minimum wage, and the tips bring them up to and over minimum wages. otherwise, like here in my state, the employer MUST kick in money, to bring them up to the hourly minimum wage.

austinmike and Dark_Majesty_06 Thank this.
  8. shanman

shanman Medium Load Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Silverton, OR
    My rule is if I check the truck/trailer over and find it to my satisfaction no missed spots everything clean, then I'll leave them a tip even blue beacon. But, if I have to tell them about missed spots bugs still on the windshield I leave nothing. The way I see it i appreciate a job well done and will thank them with money. If I have to tell you how to do your job then you deserve nothing.

I will say very rarely does a truck wash get tips. For a place that all they do is wash trucks they sure do a crappy job most of the time and I have to point out huge areas they missed. Yes I'm that jerk who will stay in that wash Bay walking around pointing to areas that need "rewashed" until I am satisfied

brian991219 Thanks this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    If the guys greet me with a smile Then yes I'll leave a tip.But if they have this lets hurry up and get done attitude then no.If I leave a tip it's only to one person,the one that's working the hardest.I'll give him no less then $5.00 and no more then $10.00 depending how much pride he takes in his job.

10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I leave a tip every time. From $5 to $20, depending on service and how much work was involved. I gave a $20 tip after running through 20 miles of mud and flash floods to get to an oil rig. They probably had to wash about 300 lbs of mud and oil off my rig.

I also leave a tip in the shower. Those are some hard working folks with an often thankless job. A couple years ago I wanted to get a shower on my 30 minute break in Kansas. A blizzard was bearing down and the regular night shift cleaner hadn't showed up for work. The day shift guy had just arrived at 3:00 am to start cleaning, and all the showers were dirty. I told him I was hoping to shower on a 30 minute break. He busted ### to get a shower ready for me. I left the smallest bill in my pocket, a ten. I went to get coffee and he came up to me with tears in his eyes, saying nobody does anything like that.

I do. Pay it forward.

11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I never tip at the truck wash. Do a good job and I will be a repeat customer. Do a poor job and I will not be back.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.