Tips for driving at night??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Thull, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Thull

Thull Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    i need tips to help me be able to drive at night. I find it harder to see due to lack of visibility & lack of peripheral vision. I don't drive night AT ALL unless I HAVE to, which is RARE. Since I've been in the Bulk division with Schneider I've only had 1 load that had to be loaded after 6pm. Every other load I have had so far has be appt for loading or unloading between 7am & 6 pm. I know there are some cities that are hard to get around in during the day due to traffic & I would like to be able to bypass those cities but I just have a hard time seeing at night. I don't need glasses based on my eye exams I suppose but do you think I should get a pair anyway?? Idk I need some tips!!! Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    I like the tinted sunglasses for glare and night driving, but there is no cure all, some people just have a tough time with it

Big Don and Thull Thank this.
  4. Winnyf1

Winnyf1 Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Evansville, IN
    If you need eye glasses a good anti-glare coating will help. Also if you can afford it get night tinted glasses too, a second pare specifically for night will ease eye strain.

Puppage, thejackal and Thull Thank this.
  5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Try those night vision glasses.Heard they work pretty good.

Thull Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I do a ton of night driving in both my service truck and personal vehicle. I actually prefer it. When cars approach, watch the white line on your right a ways in front of the truck, it will help you from being blinded. Always watch far ahead and watch the ditches for eyes. Deer are stupid and will jump out in front. I drive a lot of 2 lane rural roads, so I try not to ride the fog line. A lot of stupid teenagers seem to walk right next to the line and always seem to be wearing dark clothing. I've even come up on a car parked on the shoulder with no lights on in a rainstorm and literally did not see it until I was 50 feet away. I guess the biggest thing is keep your eyes moving since its much harder to see hazards in the dark.

Big Don, Puppage, Friday and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    One thing I recommend is to try to never look directly in your right California when passing. Way too many drivers will flash high beams at you. Try to get plenty of rest with at least 4 good hours of REM sleep within 6 hours of going on duty. Rest is the only thing that will work and even then on into the wee hours of the morning you will get a bit sleepy. When I had to do an overnighter I would drink a cup coffee around 10 PM and another around 5PM. Keep a close watch for drunks especially after midnight till about 4AM. One more thing, as tempting as it may be stay out of the restricted lanes, the cops love to hide and watch these kinds of things.

Big Don and Thull Thank this.
  8. Thull

Thull Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    I will go get me a pair of the tinted glasses to help with Glare. Thanks for the ideas !

thejackal Thanks this.
  9. Thull

Thull Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Good info there. Thanks a lot!

10. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Dim your dash lights, your Qualcomm and gps, etc.

beckdg, Big Don, street beater and 5 others Thank this.
  11. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Coffee, coffee and more coffee. I work thirds. Biggest thing I can tell you is if you know you have a run of nights, keep the same sleep pattern.

beckdg, Big Don, street beater and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.