Simple mechanical tips/tricks/fixes for drivers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by hannafarms, Aug 2, 2015.

1. hannafarms

hannafarms Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Looking for any tips on simple mechanical fixes truckers should know how to fix over the road. Tools of the trade? Parts to keep incase? Im talking bout things that can be jimmy rigged to either get ya to a shop or off the road.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Splices for air lines.

RustyBolt and hannafarms Thank this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Bungee cords/duct tape have saved me a few times. I bungee corded a brake chamber once, it got me to a shop down the highway. Broken mirror bracket ? Duct tape. Plus your basic screwdrivers/pliers. Sagging trailer air line ? Bungee cord !

hannafarms Thanks this.
  5. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    When you have a bad sensor wrecking your day, it often can be bypassed with a paperclip...Like a bad heat sensor, it will tell the dash to tell you to stop immediately, or put the truck at 5 mph...you can do the bypass on it..alot of emission sensors can be bypassed..
    It usually will take out all the dash function, or make it all go crazy, but you can keep rollin at least!!! Def no permanent fix by any means...

I actually bypassed the speed sensor at the driveshaft and overrode the speed and rpm govenors, but it also took out the odometer

So, nothing scientific here...Just a bug in your ears for something to try...Some electronic failures/faults can be jimmied with the paperclip...
    [​IMG]

lagbrosdetmi and hannafarms Thank this.
  6. realdesertkickin

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    If your stuck with air leaking out of a crappy seal, dig it out and flip it over, works great

lagbrosdetmi Thanks this.
  7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Always have duct tape, some assorted size zip ties and a can of WD40

HorseShoe Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Trailer lights not working, wiggle it until it works and wrap a bungee cord around the plug to hold it in place.

Definitley carry an air brake fitting kit for emergencies, spare caging bolts (if you run in salt, good luck getting those suckers off the holder on the chambers). Keep an assortment of heat shrink butt connenctors and terminals. Never know when you might wreck a cord or find a ground terminal rotted off.

hannafarms and HorseShoe Thank this.
  9. realdesertkickin

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    An old schooler told me to put golfballs in my front tires for balancing..

10. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    A glad hand air hose for airing up a tire and a tire plug kit. Saved me a service call more than once. Couple different sizes of ratcheting straps. Useful for when a bungie just wont cut it. A good pry bar for when you hit a deer and it shoves your bumper back into a steer tire (been there). Spare engine belt, fuses, lights, etc.

hannafarms Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.