Tire came off of the wheel

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 01cblue, Feb 1, 2012.

1. losttrucker

losttrucker Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2008
    greenville,nc
    Whats the name of this company again??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

there are a lot of " could haves " every day....i see your point but ....

4. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    Lets hope they dont do this as a regular practice as I would be all over them if it was me. If you look at my reason, thats legit. Everyone picks up metal from time to time so that would just be BS and I would call them on it

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    So you'd have been better off blowing the tire on the highway and then it would have been a simple tire repair call .... nice. This may be an important lesson for many who may one day try and limp to get a flat super-single fixed ... they will roll off the rim in certain situations.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  6. 01cblue

01cblue Light Load Member

May 4, 2010
    It's a dry heat
    Oh and just to be clear, they did say the reason they were calling it a preventable accident was because I didn't do a thorough pre-trip, therefore causing the "damage" of the tire coming off the wheel.

I am thinking that they couldn't call it an "accident" without there being any damage, so they have to justify that there was damage, and they are doing that by saying it was the cost to replace the tire that is considered damage. Very vague reasoning here.

I have had a tough 3 weeks. This is really icing on the cake.

7. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    It is vague but they have a point. An accident by definition is an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectantly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury. Unfortunately, they are trying to cover their butt and it does seem a bit harsh .

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Well, I can see their being concerned about you apparently leaving to travel with with a flat tire (super-single no less). But even if you discovered the flat and called them, they'd have still had to send out a tire guy and the cost to the company would have been the same.

But, what's happening to you sucks, but we can be glad it happened the way it did ... it didn't come off as you reached highway speed, roll across a median perhaps into a small car carrying a family of 4. Life has cruel ways of teaching us vital lessons without hurting others.

9. NYROADIE

NYROADIE Heavy Load Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Rochester NY

It's a tough lesson to learn, just keep this in mind for next time.

10. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    When did they start putting super singles on the steer axle?

O/P: A preventable incident, I can understand that. Accident? Not so much. That said.

It is your responsibility to be sure there is tire pressure adequate to perform the work necessary for tires. If the tire pressure is so low that the tire pops off the rim within 20 feet, it would have been noticeable even with a kick to the sidewall. The tire would feel mushy and it would jiggle from the blow. Interpretation: You did not do a pretrip at all. There is NO WAY you would not have noticed a tire that flat had you even looked at it.

Now. With all of that out of the air. Is this thread a spoof of one posted a few weeks ago with pictures of an identical incident? You don't happen to work for US Xpress, do ya?

dollarmtn and texan007 Thank this.
  11. Bill104

Bill104 <b>Pepsiholic</b>

Dec 27, 2011
    Sacramento,Ca
    Icall bull, theres more going on then being told, at 1mph and within ten feet, i don,t see a tire coming completly off the rim and rolling away, theres something fishy going on somewhere, i need the other details.

Hardlyevr, mgfg and dollarmtn Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.