Tire came off of the wheel

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 01cblue, Feb 1, 2012.

1. 01cblue

01cblue Light Load Member

May 4, 2010
    It's a dry heat
    No spoof. I inspected the front tires, saw no reason to believe they were low, although I admit I did not check the tire inflation pressure with a guage. I swear the tire did not look flat, and I didn't see the tiny piece of metal in it, which I suspect was on the bottom.

I've decided that from now on I will just be more thorough on the steer tires. All I've been doing is kicking the trlr tires and looking at the super single drives and my steers, and if they appeared low then I would give closer inspection.

Like I said before, the way I wrote the post is exactly as events occurred. I don't "see" the tire coming off either, but I'm here to tell you, it obviously can happen.

The point of my post was not only to get thoughts on how this will affect me in then fuiture, but also as an account of my experence that might possibly influence others to take more time on the pre-trip.

LOL, it was a single steer tire. And the piece of metal was very small, and likely down at the bottom somewhere I couldn't see it.

I can appreciate your skepticism, but I wrote the solid truth in my post. Pretrip was done, the tire "looked" OK but I have seen the error of my ways.

I know you fellows don't know me, but if I was as full of BS as you guys the accusing me of being, my eyes would be turning brown..

OK, Bill, I am not trying to fool you. At this point, you've spoken your piece several times, and you are simply trolling the post now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    How is everyone doing Today ? :biggrin_2558:

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  4. 01cblue

01cblue Light Load Member

May 4, 2010
    It's a dry heat
    I will be doing better when I get a load and get the heck outta this dreary place they call Oregon.

How are you this late morning?

5. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Of course an air gauge is the proper way to check exact pressure. But if one can't tell a tire is low by thumping, something is wrong. I can look at a tire and tell you it's low.

Picking a little piece of metal off the road is not an accident either. You can't see every screw or sliver of metal on the road. Just a road hazard is all.

A steer tire would of definately been visable if low. You might of been sitting on the damage. Tires pop all the time at the least expected moment. Steer tires carry more weight per square inch than any other tire. They will roll off the rim too if flat. Especially if you turn the wheel.

You didn't do anything wrong blue and shouldn't be charged anything. Go over the guys head and talk to the operations manager. Don't say anything about not checking air pressure. Though you should of checked it, it had nothing to do with it blowing. That could of happened to any driver.

Something I see new drivers do all the time is curb the tires. Everytime you curb a tire, you risk breaking the cords inside the tire. Then a blowout follows later. Never ever curb a steer tire.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  6. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

question..TRUTHFULLY...how many of you check your air pressure with a gauge EVERY SINGLE DAY??????? i for one dont....

losttrucker, red_eye and Jarhed1964 Thank this.
  7. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    TY, I'm doing good this morning, dreary and froggie here in Central Texas.

I would not beat myself up too much over this mishap. I had a tire blow out several years ago on a loaded trailer I picked up in Virginia. I was in PA, heading up the mountainside when it blew and the kicker to it was. I stopped and checked all the tires with a gauge 30 minutes prior to this happening. I did not know it at the time but the company dinged my DAC for the same thing, a preventable accident. :biggrin_2554:

Now you can try to argue with anyone in your company but I can tell you. Your trying a losing battle with possibly being marked. I would move on and chalk this one up as experience. It has not affected me what so ever in getting another job. I don't even list it on job applications. It is not a DOT accident. Now if the potential employer asks, I simply tell them that was not a accident but a tire blowout. I usually get a chuckle out of the person asking.

Be safe out there.......

RT

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    Lonesome and Big Don Thank this.
  8. weirdpuckett

weirdpuckett Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Man I'm glad it popped off while you were still in rest area . . ..This is not a big deal dude ...

9. stabob

stabob Heavy Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Sebring Fl
    On a average day I'm hooked to at lest ten different trailers and I don't. That would turn my 14 hr day into a much longer one. I will put a gauge to a 1020 tire though.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  10. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

with good reason to, on the 1020!!!!

11. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    The foreign object may not have been in the tire during the (was going to type pretrip inspection but can't) kick. Since a loud bang was reported it could have been debris a few feet from the tire. We all know how clean them truckers keep the parking areas.

I won't say it didn't happen, but I have a very analytical type mind. I really can't picture a tire blowing, separating from the rim and still having enough momentum to keep rolling. All when the truck only rolled 10 feet.

10 feet is about 1.5 revolutions if I can do any sort of math. Even with all the torque of my "Cassie" and my 8 months of shifting practice I am only in 7th gear in that distance... Hehehehehee

Since day one of CDL school we were taught that steers are always checked with a gauge.

I am currently doing shuttles. Just 4-6 trailers a day. Instead of a tire thumper I use a real hammer on the drives and tandem tires. I get a better feel for actual pressure. Especially when there is such a mix of tread types on those tandem tires.

But the gauge is also in my hand as I am doing that for any tire that might be suspect. Anything under 80 PSI is considered a flat tire by DOT (is what we were told by KLLM safety) and is a big hit on the license.

Oh wait, those were the old days... Safety at KLLM now requires a gauge test on all tires!

Mikeeee

Bill104 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.