Tire came off of the wheel

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 01cblue, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Ex-Con-Trucker

Ex-Con-Trucker Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    I apologize for hijacking the thread but I have a quick question about this. So, there is a difference between license CSA points, and company CSA points? I was up in Maine a few weeks ago, in the wilderness (literally). I was pulled over by DOT for having a blown headlight a few miles from the shipper. I knew that the light was blown, and had already used my spare headlight the week before. The earliest I could fix it was after getting loaded. Well, he wrote the blown headlight on the inspection, but said it wouldn't count against my CSA score, but my company says it does. Which is it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    It counts. You will have (I believe) 24 points assessed the first year, 16 the second and 8 the third.

Why?
    Well, because we know (the guv'mint says so and they are always right) that blown headlight is going to cause you to jack knife your truck in front of a tour bus full of families heading to Orlando for vacation from Maine's winter weather. There will be bodies strewn for a mile...dads, moms, aunts, uncles, kids and that lone Chihuahua that was snuck onto the bus by somebody's gramma. It will be ALL YOUR FAULT because your headlight was blown.

That's why.

Big Don, Pmracing, dirtyjerz and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    First. Use your tire gauge.

Second. Did you hit something in front of your tire as you started to roll or was it obviously sitting at the bottom of your tread, preventing you from seeing it on your pretrip?

5. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Not to mention the emotional trauma to the innocent moose that saw the whole thing. PETA would have a cow.:biggrin_25525:

Good info for the "I just drive" crowd though. Carry spare lights, know how to change em out, and if you use your spare replace it asap. Don't give the CS an easy win.

Injun Thanks this.
  6. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Those two phrases conflict...

Mikeeee

7. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    :biggrin_2559::biggrin_25514::biggrin_25514::biggrin_25514:

8. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    I do not believe a steer tire will blow out, come off the rim, and roll away as you are just taking off, in only 10 feet.
    Something ain't right here.:biggrin_25512:

Injun and Bill104 Thank this.
  9. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    rim on ground, tire layin in parking lot.. truck backs up 10ft with 4000lbs on rim rolling across pavement and no damage? i need pictures.

Bill104 Thanks this.
  10. Henley

Henley Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Rock Springs, WY
    No, you didn't.

My point exactly.

It doesn't matter what it looked like; you didn't actually check it.

That's not a proper pretrip, at least not according to the DOT. And I'd imagine your company's inspection requirements pretty closely match the DOT's.

I've had a CDL for 15 years and in all that time I still haven't developed a foot that's sensitive enough to know the difference between 100 psi and 85 psi. The DOT considers a tire to be flat if it's more than 10 percent low. That's roughly 10 psi in most truck tires. I haven't run across a tire thumper that sensitive, either.

No, it wasn't.

I am one of the drivers that checks every tire, every day, with a gauge. It only takes a few seconds longer than kicking the tires does. I have a glad hand tire inflator, I make good use of it, and I've never failed a DOT inspection. And maybe I've been lucky, but I think it's worth mentioning that in 15 years I've never had a single blowout.

11. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Plus it is a little bit of exercise!

Mikeeee

Bill104 and Mommas_money_maker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.