1. freebirdusa

freebirdusa Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Thomaston ga
    I'm cleared through the hiring team to go to work for TMC. They are asking me when do I want to go to orientation. I'm fairly happy where I'm at now. Just not enough miles per week. Any positive info about TMC would be appreciated. Like average weekly gross pay. The recruiter told me they have southeast or Georgia regional routes. True or false? If I'm going to be out in the elements tarping for only $50.00 more a week I'll stick with a dry van company. Etc.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Ill tell you this from a good friend working at TMC that chose regional and %. He really likes the work but here is a heads up that a recruiter will not tell you and why I didn't go there. Broaden your regions first, second if you choose % you get long cheap runs and if you choose mileage you get short expensive runs.

Allenmichael27, pete1 and Puppage Thank this.
  4. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    I just applied to where you work now. How many average weekly miles are you getting? I talked to one guy who lives near Chicago who said he is getting around 3,000 per week give or take a couple hundred on each side of that figure.

5. pete1

pete1 Heavy Load Member

From what I've been told by TMC drivers I've run into, take load percentage.
    The ones who do seem happier.
    They also seem to do a fair amount of D&H.
    Their trailers are in excellent shape.
    Don't screw around or take shortcuts, because according to some of them, they are encouraged to rat each other out, so to speak.

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I drove for them for a short while. I would not disagree with anything said so far.

To do well at TMC, you have to be dedicated to looking good going down the road. Clean truck. Tight tarps. Etc. And more importantly, you have to have a good dispatcher. Not like the 21 year old punk I had that claimed to have had 3 years OTR experience. Traded him in for a 20 something gal that didn't know a coil from 2x4. Then I left the company.

MrEd, TROOPER to TRUCKER and pete1 Thank this.
  7. freebirdusa

Oct 21, 2014
    Thomaston ga
    Thanks for the info everyone. My wife already gets to here (lol) me griping about 5 pm Atlanta traffic etc. She said she is going to dread answering the phone when she knows that I just got through tarping a load in a heavy storm in a muddy lot. I sure wish TMC had dry vans. I would jump on the job with no hesitation.

8. freebirdusa

Oct 21, 2014
    Thomaston ga
    I see that you are from central New York. You may get more miles than I do. My problem is that I get put on runs that are 166 miles then after all of the dropping trailer find shipping and receiving office, then hooking to outbound trailer (after I did a 5 or 10 minute tour of the property finding trailer). Sliding tandems over bridge etc. then writing down important load info that cant be pulled up on the QUALCOMM while in motion. Then stopping at guard shack to get seal number checked. It takes too much out of my 14 hour clock. Plus you have to find the closest cat scale. They load a lot of their trailers around 49,000 lbs. The 166 is not always the miles that you get to the next shipper or receiver. My complaint(if you would call it that) is not enough 300-500 straight trips. Wheels turning is when you know you are earning money. I have been with them 4 and a half months and I have only had 3 decent runs that pay good. It depended on where I was when I got dispatched on them. Two st. Loius runs and one Tampa run. I cant figure out where they put all of the drivers that they hire every week. Im just a truck driver(one guy). They know more about their company than I do. But, it seems to me if they would stop hiring too many guys and give the current drivers a couple long runs throughout the week their turn over rate would drop. No disrespect to you. If you get on with them. Welcome aboard. Its a shame that Im even looking elsewhere because they are a good company. But my bank account is yelling at me for more money.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    Reason for edit: spelling errors
    JOHNQPUBLIC Thanks this.
  9. 59EX

59EX Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    freebirdusa, if you don't mind me asking what kinds of miles are you doing now?

Thx.

10. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    And do they give any type of shorthall pay for 166 mile runs like you described?

11. freebirdusa

Oct 21, 2014
    Thomaston ga
    I would say that Im averaging 400 miles per day. and no type of short haul pay. The 166 mile run might be to go pick up a 350 mile run. But the problem Im having is all of the in between stuff you deal with before you can get the wheels rolling. Then before you know it its time to start hunting a truckstop to take your 10 hour sleeper berth break. If you aren't parked at a Pilot, Loves,T/A,etc by 7:30 pm your pushing the chance of finding a parking spot. The bottom line is the 14 hour rule and Qualcomm have really changed the amount of money us truckers can make.

59EX and JOHNQPUBLIC Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.