TMC

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Duckie, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

A tip I got from a flatbedder older than me. If the shipper wants his stuff tarped and DOES NOT lift the tarps up to the top of the load FOR ME......... that load does not get tarped. I AM NOT going to mess up my back worse for one load of freight. Most shippers are used to this request and comply as soon as you ask. The rest when you tell them it isn't getting tarped if they don't won't give you any lip either.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Landstar has around 9200 trucks, Swift has twice that many. Landstar had 1700 accidents in 2006. Swift has 1100 a month. You'll fit right in. I'm not trying to be mean to you, just pointing out why Swift probably doesn't have a problem with it, and another reason I wouldn't work for them.........ever.
    I don't see how they stay in business with that kind of money drain along with their 130% annual driver turn over.

dog-c Thanks this.
  4. Sami

Sami Bobtail Member

i thought my driving history was ok, i didnt think this was going to be a problem..ah that little fantasy world i live in..anyway i hope i can land some where other than swift..but if thats where i go, ill become a good driver there, do my job and re evaluate my situation in 12 t o18 months..

5. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
  6. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    that's interesting , and helpful to know..

7. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine

This is quite true of most all loads. Thank you for mentioning this. There are some places where you have to back the trailer into a dock and if your tarps are in your sideboxes you will have to lift them onto the deck of the trailer first in order for the forklift driver to have access to them. Other times your load may be loaded with a crane and only one foot or two off the deck, in which case you get to handle the tarp yourself. My truck has one of the new enclosed headache racks so one of my tarps is in there so on loads that require tarping I try to dig them out and lay them on the deck of the trailer beforehand. That way the forklift driver may have to move them out of the way first, then place them properly. I have never had to lift a tarp over my head.

8. Rawlco

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    Roehl is fusy about who they hire, don't let that get you down. If TMC turns you down the first time go ahead and re apply in a couple of weeks. A different person on the hiring committee may approve you.

9. Rawlco

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    I have been keeping very busy. Last weekend I ended up planning my 34 hour restart very close, having just enough hours to restart and continue down the road. I failed to pick a truckstop with WiFi however leaving me quite bored all day. I should have been home this weekend but the freight didn't line up right. I knew when signing on that some times I would stay out three weeks before getting home. It is part of the job. This also has allowed me to take a quite long well paying load over the weekend. I would have brought in $4000 in revenue to the truck for the pay period ending yesterday but I had a load from Ohio to Richmond Virginia. The roads in Ohio were snowcovered thursday morning and I had 50 miles to go before hitting an interstate. Those 50 miles took me two hours since the traffic was scared to drive over 30 mph anytime. There was more salt on the road than snow, (incidentally I have a white truck now instead of black, hehe:laughing8: ) This took away my one hour of cushion that I had built into the load. This brought me to delivering thirty minutes before receiving hours ended for the day. I had my fleetmanager reschedule the delivery for morning and told hime there was a slight chance of getting unloaded today with a few hours left. That slight chance evaporated in 10 mph traffic the entire length of the 495 beltway around Washington DC. So i missed out on a nice 200 mile overnight run and got loaded Friday morning for Monday Delivery.

10. Sami

Sami Bobtail Member

Can any new england TMC drivers give me an idea what the truck averages have been over the past few months...Im getting ready to pull the trigger on a company and want to be a sure as i can??? is the money there??? for that matter can anybody tell me what the yearly take home is ???

11. Matthews

Matthews Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Akron,OH
    NO WAY!!!! TMC wouldn't sell out to SWIFT..... :biggrin_25513:

dog-c Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.