To those who got into trucking not knowing Shift Stick how long did it take to learn

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by newbtr1, Jul 6, 2015.

1. newbtr1

newbtr1 Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    I followed the advice given in this forum and did not buy a shift stick car before I got to school, but now Im having a miserable time timing the shift movements, and I panic when the POS stick gets stuck, especially from 5 to 6 with the C movement. I only had like 3 full hours driving and was told I was failing.

I want to know how many driving hours does it take to master he shift stick and floating or double clutch.

What can I do?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Work on not being nervous and don't focuse so much on shifting. Let the truck get it into gear you just point it into the direction.i see a lot of people rushing to speed shift and get locked out of the next gear. Just breath. Took me 30 minutes or so to get a hold of shifting grinding etc until it started making sense to me. I learned on a 13 speed that's all I had available. But I learned to float before double clutching........ And YouTube tutorials

Lilmissgearjamher Thanks this.
  4. Ordy19

Ordy19 Medium Load Member

Aug 19, 2014
    We had a guy go through my entire class and grinded all the time. He would get flustered and throw the crap in gear, usually not the right one, and throw us around in the back. Dont know if he passed his test or not. Buying a POS stick car would not have helped you dude. Listen to the instructor, humble yourself, and take your time.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Never drove an auto trans but a little less RPM makes em slide in easier too.
    I would recomend you choose between double clutch and floating, and just focus on one of the two. I learned to double clutch when I was a kid, and think its the easiest.
    This "school" should be teaching you, and not giving you a bad time!

6. Amw86

Amw86 Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2012
    whoever told you that you're failing, is failing. Keep at it, its not rocket science, find someone else to teach you, the attitude is ####....trying to do something isn't failing, quitting is, everyone learns at a different pace and some people learn some things faster than others.

7. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I had a private instructor that helped me pass my test. That was pretty much it. I then bought a truck and flatbed and got my own authority with zero experience. I use to grind the gears all the time until I just plain chilled out. It took me maybe 4 months before I could down shift. I would go through EZpass lanes and have to come to a complete stop then start all over again.

blairandgretchen and Mr.X Thank this.
  8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Had no idea - and no training. Took me about a week of full time driving to learn a 10 speed, a month to become smooth. Like @Skate-Board I was terrible at down shifting. Began floating after a year or so, and only floating on down shift in the last 2.

Just had to learn a 13 speed - after 10 years experience, that took me 2 months to get smooth.

Don't sweat it. And don't believe the "I was born with a steering wheel in my hand" stories - everybody blows at shifting to start with.

Skate-Board Thanks this.
  9. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Learning to double clutch will help from grinding and is actually preferred by most trucking companies as a way off conserving fuel.
    Count slowly to 10. And then back to 1 over and over at a slow and steady pace. Once driving just count as you shift. It will soon fall in place like counting.
    You can do it.....
    PS. Floating is an acquired skill but not needed to successfully drive a truck. Work on the required stuff.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    First thing I can think of is the car/pickup with a manual would have helped you but ... It has to do with coordination of your hand, and two feet moving in different directions so any of that type of practice will help.

The second thing that comes to mind is always always double clutch, do not try to float or force the gears during a shift, those who advocate floating are not thinking about you being a student so get into the habit right from the start and keep it until you get it right most of the time.

As for double clutching conserving fuel, not really.

11. cerberus63

cerberus63 Light Load Member

May 24, 2015
    Gates of Hades
    Ridgeline, I'm absolutely positive that you've got tons more experience than I do, with that said, I humbly disagree with your statement about having driven a straight shift car. I'd driven str8 shift or manual transmissions for the majority of my driving life (been licensed since 1979) and it's a completely different thing. I'd get too deep in the clutch (while double- clutching) and of course the clutch brake would engage and grind the #### out of those gears. The majority of the instructors I spoke with said they'd much rather have students that had never driven a str8 shift than those guys (gals) like me that had driven them. I guess it's like teaching the old dog new tricks, a lil bit harder than teaching the young pup! Anyway, I finally got the hang of double clutching it after about 15 hrs. in the truck. After I had passed all of my tests I was allowed to drive some more and the instructor showed me the floating method and I think I did pretty good floating them. Run her up to 1500 pull her out and slide it back into gear at or around 1000 rpm. Gotta work on my downshifting on the float though! To the OP, take your time and TRY not to get flustered,I don't know anybody that was born shifting one of these rigs, be patient and don't let them rattle you!

ncmickey Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.