top load vs center load antenna

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by fgb3, Dec 18, 2011.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    if you add 10 inches to the bottom, you might only be able to subtract 1/8 inch from the top. anything you do to the shaft has minimal effect on the whip. I build custom antennas all the time. If I had to recommend an antenna for the cascadia, it would probably be about 81 inches long to come even with the top of your trailer. 6 or 7 foot fiberglass whip would work if you are using the brackets that mount down low.

Smaggs Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I saw a Volvo with one of those mounted low on his mirror. He says it rocks!

4. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

I have to dissagree with you. I had a short (5 inch) shaft wilson 5000. I tuned it and ran it. I decided to put the longer shaft on the bottom to get the load higher and I had to trim about 5 inches from the whip to get the SWR back down to were it was.

5. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    what did you tune it with?

6. The Truckist

The Truckist Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Good info right here:

http://www.wilsonantenna.com/cutting.php

Down at the bottom:
    (Coil Factor : for W-1000 use : C=41.65 ; for Trucker 5" use: C=52.21 ; for Trucker 10" use C=53.84)

The shafts obviously are interchangeable from 5' to 10"...thus this calculation for the whip adjustments/cutting. I've got one of each shaft length but haven't tried the 5000 on my set up yet. Found this link when wondering about how the shaft length affects the whip length.

7. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

Have two different SWR meters that I use.

Before I put on the 10 inch shaft the SWR was flat across the band. I put on the shaft and had to cut more then 4 inches off the whip to get it back to were it was.

I did not change anything else, just the lower shaft.

I was trying to find the longer 16 inch shafts but could not find them locally. Trying to get some of the flex out of it by getting the whip shorter.

8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    What was the phase angle of the jumpers you used to hook up the swr meter to the radio and antenna? If they were anything other than 180 degrees for both, then you are not getting an accurate reading with the swr meters since they only indicate flat swr when they see 50 ohms.
    Swr meters don't care how the 50 ohms is happening as long as you can fool them into seeing it. Which is what your impedance transformer (odd length jumper) is doing. With an antenna analyzer it doesn't matter how long the coax is because swr never changes with cable length.

9. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Correction: any multiple of 180 degrees can be used when using cheap swr meters to obtain a fairly accurate reading.

10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Current and voltage are only equal every 180 degrees. Where current and voltage both equal zero is where you want to cut the cable to make it null to allow the swr meter to see the actual feedpoint impedance.

11. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    All other factors being equal, the top-loaded antenna will have a lower takeoff angle than the center-loaded antenna.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.