Torquing Wheels

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by wall_404, May 19, 2015.

1. wall_404

wall_404 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I told one of my drivers he needs to put odometer reading on his log when he has wheels re-torqued after replacement. Instead he marks the odometer reading on a repair request and none of the odometer readings add up to where he says it was done. I don't believe he's having the wheels re-torqued. Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this driver before he loses a wheel? We only run in Ontario, Canada. If it was my call I'd fire him, but the boss won't do it. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Is it a requirement to get them retorqued in Canada? It is just a shop recommendation down in the US. You might be able to punish him by putting him on a safety hold til he comes up with the odometer readings. What you do is have him come back to the yard where the wheels are retorqued, put him OOS til he comes up with the right ODO reading. After 3 days you hire another driver if he does not respond.

wall_404 Thanks this.
  4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    The carrier should have a clear, written policy which discusses the requirement for the re-torque procedure, the potential ramifications of not doing it (65% of known wheel separation incidents are due to the wheel fasteners*) and consequences to the driver if the policy is not adhered to. A copy should be made available to all drivers and they should all be required to sign off as having read it. This is an issue that can have very serious ramifications for all involved.

Does the carrier currently have a safety award program? If so, then this policy should form part of the requirement for achieving the award. If not, is the owner amenable to starting one? As the saying goes, "honey attracts more bees than vinegar," so it is better to reward drivers in a positive manner for following policy rather than punish them... unless they are habitual offenders / non-conformists.

Of course there is no legal requirement to have the information noted on a driver's log, although you may institute a company requirement to do so if you wish. The information should be noted on that day's Schedule 1, however.

Is it your job to create / enforce such a policy? If it is, then do it and get the boss to sign off on it. If it isn't, you should pass that information along to whomever is responsible in a written format while keeping a copy of the correspondence for yourself (a bcc of the email you send internally to your personal email, for example).

*Wheel Separations from Commercial Vehicles: Experiences in Ontario

wall_404 Thanks this.
  5. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    no matter what the issue if you are the employer and a driver does not follow your rules or instructions fire him..I fired a driver 3 days before Christmas for not following my orders after 2 previous warnings,, You make the rules it is your company or truck,

wall_404 Thanks this.
  6. wall_404

wall_404 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    We have very clearly written policies and drivers have to sign off that they have read and understand what their responsibilities are. This guy is just too lazy to do anything, but he'll write down that he did it. Thankfully for me and the company I work for he quit. Apparently he doesn't like getting caught screwing up. Thanks everyone!

7. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Does the driver carry a torque wrench ? If stopping at a shop their work order should include the odometer reading. Demand the copy. Also most shops charge a minimum fee. Occasionally a shop will do a courtesy check but you should demand paperwork.

wall_404 Thanks this.
  8. wall_404

wall_404 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    We have a torque wrench in every truck and a shop that does it for free when our drivers stop there.

9. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Get problem drivers to supply a name as well if you suspect he's not getting it retorqued .. We had driver who lost wheels after a safety was just done . Turns out the young lad a trailer shop started taking off wrong wheels on a tri axle and forgot to tighten them again . Driver swore he retorqued them but the shop he had it done at never saw him because they were closed .. Luckily it was in middle of nowhere and no one got hurt and opp never found out 50k fine would've hurt

wall_404 Thanks this.
  10. wall_404

wall_404 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Unfortunately my boss hired this moron back last week. I keep telling him the same thing over and over and his response is always "nobody told me". I started putting everything in writing and having him sign it. Now he's complaining that I'm treating like a retard and complaining to my boss about it. My response is "If the shoe fits wear it" or you might find it up your *$#. On his second day working for us the first time he was hired he spun the truck out on the 401 and lost a wheel pulling into a truck stop and another one pulling out. I think instead of getting our drivers to sign off for being idiots I should be getting the boss too. I get that there's a driver shortage but this is ridiculous.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  11. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Boss may regret if cvor points get too high and dot is checking every truck .. Bad drivers are short term gain but long term pain .. We are still suffering from a couple of wing nuts company had a year ago

wall_404 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.