Trailer tail lights

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by dc5, Aug 29, 2015.

1. dc5

dc5 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2015
    That would be too convenient for me, I like to learn the hard way lol.. This is a "starter" truck with more than a couple Gremlins, but overall a reliable ride. As I always run with my lights on, I think for the time being I will roll with truckon's idea and get it back on the road until further diagnostics can be done. I maintain its gonna be a simple fix, just a complicated path to get there.

I really appreciate all of your help!

Dave

truckon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    My Mack is a 2001, and has a fuse box under the hood in that same location....left side, near the steering column. Inside are fuses, breakers, relays, etc. for most of the lights. The other day, my trailer lights didn't come on when I flipped the switch...had to get out, pop the hood, open that fuse box, and wiggle the relay. Apparently it wasn't making good contact.

There SHOULD be a diagram telling what each fuse/breaker/relay does. Check both under the hood AND interior fuse boxes, because there are likely fuses and relays in BOTH places that can affect the lights.

If you don't see any problems with the relays, breakers, or fuses in either box, on my Mack, the trailer plug wires are terminated at a terminal block under the hood by the coolant reservoir...left side, near the fire wall. It'll just be a strip with a bunch of wires running to it. That's the OTHER end of the wires that run back to the plug at the rear of the cab where you plug the tractor end of the pigtail into. Get a test light and see if the tail light wire is getting power to there. If it is, then unplug the pigtail at the back of the cab and see if you're getting power to the tail light pin in the receptacle. If you are, plug the pigtail back in and test the tail light pin on the trailer end of the pigtail.

I'm going to guess, if the problem started happening after the OP ripped the plug out of the trailer turning too sharp, the problem is in one of the receptacles or the pigtail....just got to start where there is power, and see where it is lost.

If fuses are blowing, start by disconnecting the pigtail from the back of the cab. Do you still blow fuses? If so, check the wiring at that receptacle. If not, plug in the pigtail at the tractor side, but NOT the trailer. Do you have power through the cable? Did the fuse blow? If not, plug into the trailer. Do the lights come on? If not, and you had power through the cable, then the issue is on the trailer. If the fuse blew when you plugged into the trailer, check the receptacle wiring...doesn't take much, just a single errant strand of copper making contact where it ought not be.

Electrical problems are a S-O-B....

dc5 and unloader Thank this.
  4. dc5

dc5 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Agreed on the electrical problems nightmare, month ago, 1000 dollar bill after dead on road.. Traced to a barely visible nick in coating on a wire arching to engine block.. I'll checked what you described when I get back and see if I can pinpoint. I did find a relay just under steering column with pier and ground running to it and a little corrosion on the terminals, played with it a little but haven't had a chance to test wires again. Thanks for your input.

Dave

truckon Thanks this.
  5. M&KMIKE

M&KMIKE Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Volvo started equipping them with an external fuse and relay center on model year 2010 and newer. The external box above the steering column is not applicable to your 2000 unit.

Check the fuses and relays in the FRC (fuse relay center) that's under the top cover above your radio. The trailer lighting should be labeled on the sticker on the back side of the cover.

6. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had same prob on my 770. It was the pigtail.

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Did you wiggle the pigtail to see if the light would come on?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.