Training?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by sdpetheram, Feb 3, 2016.

1. sdpetheram

sdpetheram Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2013
    So, I am leaving for orientation this Sunday night.

Tips for during the training period? How many of you had totally worthless trainers and what did you do? Are the nightmarish stories I have heard true?

Thanks and stay safe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    What company you training with?

4. Tony_N

Tony_N Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Warner Robins, GA
    Listen and use common sense. I used to be a trainer and I had students that I swear must have had there heads used as basketballs at birth. However on your current question, yes there are horrid trainers out there that are only letting you on their truck for the money and will try to keep you on the truck for as long as humanly possible. If you have any issues with your trainer at all and I mean AT ALL, call your company and explain what is going on. If your trainer asks you to do something illegal like running on his logs, or vice versa. Call you company. If he makes you do something that you are not comfortable with, Call your company. You need to accept that yes you could receive a bad trainer, however for as many bad ones there are good ones. Just remember, if your company is worth anything at all, they will handle it and get you with a trainer that will actually train you to be a good, safe driver.

5. sdpetheram

Mar 10, 2013
    U.s. express. Already have cdl

6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Don't let your feelings going into your training become self fulfilling prophecy. It is very easy to do. Remember you are a guest on that truck. Learn as much as you can and try to enjoy the time.

sdpetheram Thanks this.
  7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Be honest is the most important aspect. If your trainer is worth anything, tell them what you would like to happen. In my case, we are there as representatives of the company, we may co exist as workers in a small area. Yet I expect the coworker to be fully dressed when they come on duty. I dont need them telling me that something itches and they want me to scratch it for them. We are here to do a job not to goof off and have highschool locker room behavior.

The trainers that I have had all respected that. You have rights as a trainee. Dont forget it.

8. sdpetheram

Mar 10, 2013
    Of course I'm a guest on that truck. But I'm a guest on that truck for one reason. To be trained. I'm being trained to drive a massive vehicle on a daily basis for long periods of time. So if I don't feel I'm learning what I need to I'm not just going to sit and enjoy it and have a good time.

With that said a mixture of a good time and good training is what I would prefer. But I'd rather have good training and a not so good time if that's what it takes for the correct training.

All I'm worried about is a terrible trainer who doesn't care and only has 6 months of experience.

9. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    Eat baked beans, pinto beans, bean burritos and chili the entire time that you are with your trainer. This will help prevent him/her from keeping you on the truck after you're ready just to increase the paychecks.

sevenmph and sdpetheram Thank this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Your not going to learn how to be a trucker in just a few weeks with a trainer no matter how good said trainer is. Your just starting to scratch the surface. Trucking is about experiences you will have and how you managed them. A trainer should show you how to do the basic backing. How to scale out a load. How to log and do company paperwork correctly and how to make sure your truck is road legal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.