Transam trucking - lease program

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by 2insane, Oct 11, 2009.

Are you a Lease Driver

1. *

YES

12.9%
  2. *

NO

48.6%
  3. *

THINKING ABOUT IT

28.0%
  4. *

I WAS

11.5%
  1. 94nole

94nole Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2007
    JAX, FL
    jtrnr,

it has to be the way they present the rate per mile to these drivers...starting pay at $.98/mile versus $.31/per mile. That is all I can figure.

Secondly, they can't have a clue as to what it costs to operate a rig WITH NO EXTRAORDINARY MAINTENANCE costs mostless when something breaksdown.

If I am off with my brief example please strighten me out.

Say a $1 per mile. You have a great week and you drive 3000 miles. You just grossed, THAT IS GROSSED, $3000 for the week.

But what did it cost you to operate that truck for the week? At 6 MPG, you burned 500 gallons of fuel...at $2.85 per gallon less fuel surcharge of say 34%, you just spent 3000 x $1.88 or almost $1000 on FUEL ALONE!!!

Now you are down to $2000 left. Lets say that you had to replace a couple of tires at $400 each. Now you are down to $1200.

You haven't eaten a bite, you've not performed any other maintenance on the truck. You haven't sent Mama a dime to pay the bills.

What happens when (not if, because we know it will happen eventually) the transmission or AC or water pump goes out?

What happens when you only get 2000 miles for the week? Or when fuel prices get back to $4/gal.

I just don't see it on a good day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chasdo28

Chasdo28 Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2008
    NH

Your right drivers see .93 mi and figure 2500-3000 miles and think it's good money so they sign that lease. Then they get their settlements and say what do mean I have to pay for this and that. The only way run a truck is to buy one outright. If buy a used one, you better make sure you have at least 10,000 - 20,000 in the bank to repair it.

4. hewb

hewb Bobtail Member

May 19, 2008
    rochester,ny
    I was with them in the lease for 9 whopping months but I never had any problem getting other shops to work on my truck..hell you are paying for it what the hell do they care... I never let those cowboys touch my truck...I was told early on to never let them even do a pm on the truck as one driver told me after his was done he checked the oil and had to add another gallon to level it off!! Oh yeah..let them mess up your new truck

5. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    You still haven't figured out the TransAm lease yet have you? NOT A LEASE! It's a rental or actually a SUB LEASE!Not tax deductible either so you are in a loose loose situation! READ THE THING or call OOIDA and ask them! LOLOL

6. zentrucking

zentrucking Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Atlanta
    Because a lot of recruiters sell these shams as "Driving Company only better" - since they provide all the "resources" to run a business. Over simplify the terms and conditions, and count on most people not to read the lease at all ( such as providing all the paperwork to sign on the last day).

They count on the unsophicated nature of many recuits as not to understand business concepts such as sublease, much less any of the tax issues concerned.

Using tried and true methods handed down from direct sales, high pressure marketing, "rha rha" rhetoric, shame tactics, etc on people susceptible to pressure marketing. (people really just looking for a job)

Then the straight-up "hard heads" - of with I've debated here myself, that will defend these scams till the end either because they just can't stand to admit the mess they've gotten themselves in - or they misrepresent themselves as "successful drivers" when in reality they are nothing more than company operatives sneaking around the board.

Short answer is the lure of "easy money" - the reason why anyone gets taken in by these, timeshares, MLM's or any other kind of scam out there.

Hopefully more and more can find sites like these, and see the reality of these leases for what they really are.

7. 2insane

2insane Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2009
    USA
    I have all contracts for Transam Trucking. Lease and also Independant agreements as well as a new CSA 2010 which they forced you to sign stating they can suspend you for 3 days if you get any violation.

8. Panhandle flash

Panhandle flash Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Think we could get lucky and that the government actually does something and not just talk about it? Nahhhh!!!! Ya gotta know that big bucks are going out just to keep the status quo going!!!!

9. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Road Train Member

Illinois. Good luck. I have had the agreement looked over by a few firms for a friend of mine that got eaten alive by Trans-Am (my trainer). As crappy as it is, the agreement is really bulletproof for the company. It is written in language easy enough for a high school graduated to understand AND it even tells the person signing it exactly what happens with money, trucks, ect.

The problem is people get desperate in Olathe and Rockwall while waiting for trucks and they don't read the thing fully before signing.

10. pacman1126

pacman1126 Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Havelock, NC
    The question I have is did you win your case?

11. average joe

average joe Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    The Exclusive possession languge is in every lease, it means you can't pull any freight except theirs

pinballwizard Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.