Transmission/clutch replacement.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 6wheeler, May 25, 2016.

1. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Anyone do there own transmission/clutch Replacement?
    Like how much trouble is it. Done many cars, just wondering how hard is.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Do you have a tranny jack that can handle the weight?

I've only ever pulled the trans out of one truck, it's not to bad a job, didn't put it back in as the trans was toast and the crank ended up being bent.

4. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    I'd rather pull one in a big truck as opposed to a 1 ton pickup. Least a big truck has mechanical linkage instead of a slave cylinder. Takes about the same amount of time I supposed I did a clutch in a 1 ton 4x4 dodge a few years back took about 13 hours start to finish. book gives 13 hours to pull a fuller out and put it back in. As oscar said you'll need a heavy duty trans jack. That being said a person can pick up a 2000lb jack from harbor freight for a whopping $300 get yourself a 20 off coupon and it's a better deal that'll lift up to 20" so it all depends on how tall the truck is but a person could rig up something with a few 4x4's (yes I realize this is back yard mechanic work here.

It's much like a car in a few senses though. While it's apart plan on doing the rear main, you've already got it apart do whats easily accessible. Also I'd recommend doing the input shaft and when you do the clutch brake use a quick change. Cat did the clutch on mine I wasn't comfortable drilling the front of the trans and tapping it as I had 2 broken off fox head bolts causing a leak, I figured at least if caterpillar screwed up the case I could blame them and not myself, we did the rear main, clutch, clutch brake, and input shaft all at once. I was happy with what was done but they didn't put the quick change clutch brake in so when it's time to change the clutch brake a person has 2 choices, pull the trans again, or if you're good with a cutting torch and feel risky you can cut it out. Main thing is getting your air lines hooked back up correctly. We always use different color tape on the lines and fittings and match them up.

If you've got access to a shop, the tools, and a buddy or 2 to lend a helping hand I'm sure you could do the job in a weekend. Trucks aren't much different than cars. an old friend once told me there isn't much to wrenching just right tight left loose sequence and procedure. It holds true lately I've done a little more wrench turning than driving, swear to everything holy my big truck is easier to work on than my 1 ton ford.

Audiomaker, Oxbow and clausland Thank this.
  5. 1951 ford

1951 ford Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Goddard, KS
    It's not bad with a good jack and an old steel shaft to line the splines up. I have a plastic line up shaft that I wouldn't trust any clutch weight on, hence the steel shaft. I got it from a salvage yard for a few dollars. I also was taught from an old mechanic to put long studs in the rear of the engine to help line up the transmission bolt holes. Make them long enough to unscrew them through the transmission once it's up there.

Audiomaker, clausland and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  6. 1951 ford

1951 ford Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Goddard, KS
    The last one we split apart was to replace the rear main in an N-14. We also replaced the a couple soft plugs on the block while we were in there. Once again, the old mechanic and his past experiences dictated this as well.

379exhd Thanks this.
  7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Like what truck and transmission? PTO's? where are the exhaust and air tanks? Is it close to the ground? Room to get in between the tanks and front drives? Are you a really big guy and do you have help? Are you just doing the clutch or doing it while replacing the transmission?

8. 1johnb

1johnb Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    New Paris Ohio
    Forget the splined alignment tool. I have done many clutches, into the hundreds. I load the pressure plate and clutches on the transmission input shaft, while it is on the floor. Raise the transmission get the pilot bearing lined up and bolt the bell together. Slide the pressure plate forward and use a drift punch to line up the pressure plate bolt holes. Start all 8 bolts, DO NOT tighten them until they are all started. You will need to turn the engine over twice to complete the process. A friend would be helpful. I can install one much faster and with less difficulty this way.

6wheeler, AModelCat and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  9. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    Easy job with a tranny Jack. I woudn want to do it without one

10. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Its nothing to be scared of. Turn the flywheel for sure. If its a CAT be sure the dial pin stays in the crank. Seen many that the timing pin location ended up in the wrong spot. Also when its straight it will fall in pushing and rocking will only make you breathe hard an be red faced. On a ext hood Pete with no PTO and having a flywheel ready to exchange I can usually test drive it to dinner if I start by 7 or so

Oxbow and 1johnb Thank this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Exactly this. Soooo much easier than ####### around with a dummy shaft trying to line up splines.

On a side note, make sure you strap the transmission to the jack. I know of a guy who had one come off and did a lot of damage on its way down.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.