TRANSPORT AMERICA LEASE PURCHASE

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Air Breeze, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Does anyone have any information about doing a lease purchase with TRANSPORT AMERICA? Good deal? Bad deal? Anyone currently doing a lease purchase with this company?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do some comparison shopping with Cardinal Logistics. They have accounts in Tennessee.

4. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Looks like someone is asking for a good old fashioned anti-lease purchase beatdown. Lol

TheFriscoKid and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  5. Air Breeze

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    I'm not really looking for a bunch of beat downs. Lol. I've been driving for TA now as a company driver for almost a month now. So far I'm very happy here. All I know about their lease plan is you have to drive for them for 6 months before they will consider your qualified for their lease purchase. And that they have 3 different kinds of lease plan options. So far I'm impressed with the way they operate, and they have been treating me very well. I'm driving a nice 2015 Kenworth T-680, I get plenty of miles. If they run their lease plans like everything else I've seen here so far it might be worth looking into. I just wondered if there is anyone who has leased with them before, and what they thought about it?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  6. Air Breeze

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    I'm pretty certain I've finally found the company I'm going to stick with till I retire. I can buy a truck if I wanted one that bad. I have excellent credit and plenty of money for a down payment. I'm well aware most lease purchase plans are a ripoff. I'm just curious if anyone has ever done a lease purchase with TA and what their opinion of it was. I don't think this company is out to ripoff drivers. They actually do put the drivers first. It's not just a bunch of talk like most trucking companies are famous for.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Best wishes to you. Didn't you use to work for South East Carriers?
    I'm from Robertson County; born & raised there, but moved to Nevada a couple yrs. ago.
    Anyway, good luck.

Air Breeze Thanks this.
  8. Air Breeze

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Yes I used to drive for SEC. They where not a bad company to drive for. I just got tired of hauling rolls of paper and scrap paper from recycling centers. The benefits weren't so great either. I also wasn't getting to much of the Western freight that made me overlook some of their deficiencies. If I had lived closer to Lawrenceburg it would have been ok.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    One question, Air Breeze.

You've probably been trucking for a while now and perhaps you've developed a keen sense of what a quality company should be like. So, in that regard, while in a Lease with a "quality company", would it still not cause you to second guess the risks of having to undertake the exposure of that trucks mechanical and computer failures; and the dependency along with the reliance of the Cents Per Mile & On Freight Availability methodology that these agreements are formed around?
    What type of insurance policies do these Lease agreements offer for such contingencies? Another thing, I've seen is that there are deductions on these contracts that "stash" away money for mandatory expenses you need to adhere to. Would this money sum up to a great personal deficit to the ultimate net profit if you were to lose it out of an early termination of the agreement for whatever reason? I'd just really like your take on what you truly believe the pay off for a lease gamble would be.

Thanks

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. Air Breeze

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    You brought up some good points. My biggest concern about buying or leasing a truck is how mechanically unreliable, and prone to breakdowns these new trucks are. When it's in the shop your not making money your losing money. Before I would ever sign a lease purchase contract I would hire an Attorney who specializes in contracts to examine the contract for a professional opinion. I would also require the company I lease from to give me the names of some other driver's leasing from them so I could get their opinion. I'm not saying I'm going to do a lease but I'm always looking at my own options. I've been driving a truck now for over 20 years so I do know a little bit about this business. I think when Donald Trump is elected President, within a year or two the economy will begin a rapid expansion and owning a few trucks might be a good investment that could make you some good money.

11. Air Breeze

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    If you make $1000 gross on a load, I would think a realistic profit margin would range between $15 to $20 on that $1000 after all expenses. That would include paying your driver a reasonable wage, insurance, fuel, equipment, permits and taxes, and other cost associated with owning a truck. If you own the truck outright your profit margin would be considerably more. You would have to operate at a loss or have very little profit for some time. It takes money to make money. If you start a business with borrowed money, and little capital in reserve to meet unexpected expenses and losses you most likely will fail. You have to calculate how long you can operate at a loss before you begin to see a good return on your investment before you run out of capital.

Zer0chick Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.