Transport plates

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Jcurran90, May 24, 2016.

1. Jcurran90

Jcurran90 Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Trying to see how to get transport plates I live in New York and would love to have a transport plate does it go under my truck insurance or is it a whole different insurance? Never know if the truck breaks down and need to run and get a part a few miles away rather then call roadside or go get a nice hotel lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I am not sure how it works in NY but here in NC I had to have my General Liability and Cargo Insurance in place along with an insurance company willing to cover them. We have two types Dealer Transporter and Non-Dealer Transporter. I have Non-Dealer and the insurance covers both plates up to $100,000 . It's like adding additional cargo insurance premium. I was able to get two plates because that's all my insurance provider would do because I don't have garage keepers insurance which is designed for repair/towing and dealership insurance.

4. Jcurran90

Jcurran90 Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Around how much does your insurance go up with adding the plates

5. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    My insurance went up around $600 a year but thats for two plates and I don't know how much higher insurance rates in NY are. I used to live in NJ and now NC and just general insurance here is so much cheaper

6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Here is a link to the New York DMV regarding transporter plates, they seem fairly simple to get for NY based businesses, I wish mine were as easy to get in Pennsylvania. Like Ryan said, expect your insurance to increase $600 to $1,000 if you already have all the other correct coverages in place.

https://dmv.ny.gov/org/dealers/become-registered-transporter

7. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Another word to the wise DON'T leave any information out DMV is fickle. They sent back my check twice because they said they were missing info. So I sent them everything. My complete insurance policy every document, my business license, and filings with the SOS, my Authority letter from the FMSCA, my EIN, copies of my W-9 my process agents and registered agents names phone numbers and addresses. That seemed to do it, I am sure the lady at DMV said oh I got that guy, with 36 individual pieces of paper sent return certifed reciept. Yeah I got my approval

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.