Transportation Department Doubles Grants to Train Veterans as Truckers

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by c64basic, Oct 10, 2015.

1. c64basic

c64basic Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Frozen Tundra
    Transportation Department Doubles Grants to Train Veterans as Truckers
    Trucking schools will receive $2.3 million to train military veterans and their relatives as truck and bus drivers
    Trucking companies say they are having trouble recruiting enough drivers.
    By Paul Page
    Oct. 9, 2015 1:32 p.m. ET

The U.S. Department of Transportation is doubling the amount of money it grants schools this year for training military veterans and their relatives as commercial drivers, an increase that comes as the trucking industry says the need for new drivers is growing rapidly.

The DOT’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration said Thursday it had awarded nearly $2.3 million in grants to 13 technical schools and community colleges across the country focusing on training for bus and truck drivers.

The American Trucking Associations released a report this week saying companies will need to hire 890,000 drivers over the next 10 years to replace retiring drivers and meet new demand.

Transportation research group FTR believes the need will be even greater, and FTR senior consultant Lawrence Gross says a combination of new demand and tougher hiring requirements will make it harder for trucking companies to recruit and retain drivers.

“Because of the projected demand, there is going to be tremendous requirement for new entrants into the driver pool, well in excess of what we have seen,” Mr. Gross said. “The ability of the industry to respond to that is really in question. 2017 is really when we will see that for first time in history folks may not be able to find the trucks they need.”

The largest grants of $200,000 each went to the training program at the North Carolina Department of Transportation and to the Central Technical Center in Drumright, Okla.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    New demand? I thought BNSF was going to corner the freight market and make trucks obsolete.

4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    LOL,

That would be something... The rail yards I'm at daily have more trucks on site than train cars...

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I don't like the idea of the government granting the money directly to schools rather then the veterans themselves to be used for schooling. I smell a rat. I wonder too, are they granted the money up front and assumed they will use the money properly or are they given the money for each qualified student sign-up?

"Here School A, here's $200k dollars. Train a couple of veterans [wink wink nod nod] and we'll call you a 'good guy'"

You know at least half of this money is going to disappear into the upper management of these schools in the form of enrichment of them directly. Disgusting.

Leave it to government to once again pick winners and losers (in the CDL driver school world)

drvrtech77 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.