Trip chains.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by War Wagon, Sep 1, 2015.

1. War Wagon

War Wagon Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Southport, NC
    As a once flatbedder myself it amazes me how many trucks I see hauling flat steel with nothing more than a few straps with plastic strap protectors on them thrown across the load.
    For your own safety take a couple of minutes and throw a couple of chains on the front and rear or at LEAST build a header!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Believe it or not, synthetic fiber straps are stronger than steel chains. I still use chains when I can, but that's more cause Im a cranky old man and I hate change.

War Wagon Thanks this.
  4. War Wagon

War Wagon Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Southport, NC
    Oh no doubt on the strength of the straps. I'm just talking about something to stop forward movement if they have to stand on the breaks in an emergency. I don't think I would trust just straps horizontally to stop that stuff from sliding. Put something across the front!

Boardhauler Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    They don't "have time" to throw any x-straps or chains, or build any bulkheads across the front, but they do have time to spend 6 hours in an intersection with product up to or in their sleeper and on the roadway, waiting for assistance and dealing with company safety director and probably costing them a job, and potentially a life :biggrin_25523:

Famous last words -
    "Everything will be fine, I will be extra careful and nothing unexpected will happen. Besides, it's only 300 miles to the destination"

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    War Wagon Thanks this.
  6. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Some people can not picture the meat sliding out of the sandwich.

War Wagon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.