Troopers identify truck model in fatal hit-skip crash on Ohio Turnpike

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Rockin&Rollin, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Rockin&Rollin

Rockin&Rollin Heavy Load Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Orlando Florida
    Troopers identify truck model in fatal hit-skip crash on Ohio Turnpike

TOLEDO — Using debris and tire tracks from the scene of a fatal hit-skip crash on the Ohio Turnpike, State Highway Patrol troopers have narrowed down the type of tractor-trailer they’re looking for.

Lt. Vern Fisher, commander of the patrol’s Swanton post about 20 miles west of Toledo, said troopers are on the lookout for a 2010 Freightliner they identified based on pieces of the truck, specifically a headlight, left behind after Douglas Strand, 56, of Moultonborough, N.H., was struck as he put gasoline in his car on the turnpike early Wednesday.

Strand was standing near his disabled vehicle just west of the I-280 exit about 10 miles southeast of Toledo about 4:30 a.m. Wednesday when he was struck by the eastbound truck. Although the truck left debris in the road, Fisher said investigators had not been able to determine the Freightliner’s color.

The lieutenant said some people have called in tips to the patrol, and authorities have followed up on all leads, but “nothing has turned up yet.” Troopers also have reviewed video at turnpike exits trying to find a truck with a burned-out or broken headlight.

“We checked at all the toll gates on the turnpike, the plazas, local truck stops where they could buy a new headlight and fix it,” Fisher said. “We’ve done quite a bit as far as that goes, but so far, nothing.”

It’s possible that the truck driver might not have realized he hit a person, Fisher said, but the driver probably should know he hit something because of damage to the truck.

“Had they stopped immediately, there’d be no charges,” Fisher said. Investigators ask that anyone with information about the crash call the Swanton post at 419-826-5871.

NavigatorWife and poppapump1332 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Note to self - fill gas completely before leaving house.
    That's terrible.

truckon and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  4. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    I see so many broke down 4 wheelers with people standing around next to the white line with there backs to the traffic totally unaware of the danger, especially with all the "texters" out there. On a side note, do ya notice how many truck drivers stop there trucks on the shoulder to pee or to look at a map? You do that one to many times and you're gonna have a car or a truck slam into the back of you. Pull to the nearest off ramp to do you"re business. Now carry on!

SHO-TYME and tucker Thank this.
  5. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    HHMMMM 2010 freightliner on the OTP let me help with some more clues - color white- base plate IL. - 3 letter co. name which is being changed at this very moment, also would like to tell the cops that searching video of freightliners with headlight issues is gonna be a long slog

j_martell and 77smartin Thank this.
  6. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    And then pull into the traffic lane at 20mph!! When you pull off the freeway, you at least have the onramp to get back up to speed.

rachi Thanks this.
  7. Jean Strand Lyons

Jean Strand Lyons Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Our brother, Douglas C. Strand, was the person killed in a hit and skip accident on the Ohio Turnpike and our family is still devastated. He had picked up a boat in IL as a surprise for the family to celebrate his 57th birthday which was today (June 7) and was on his way back to NH when the accident happened. According to his credit card and when he bought gas, he would have had gas in his truck. We believe the weight of the boat may have changed the level of the gas, so it didn't reach the engine. He was an owner/operator of a tractor trailer with experience in pulling 53' trailers and hauling boats. He also had experience working with boats in the Coast Guard, as well as in boat school. He was using his own heavy duty pick-up truck and evidentially ran out of gas, pulled off the road, turned on his flashers, left his lights on, had his reflective vest/jacket on, and had emergency supplies in his truck. He was a caring person, believed in helping others, and appreciated the trucking community.

slim shady, xlsdraw, rachi and 8 others Thank this.
  8. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    I am very sorry you are having to go through such a terrible ordeal. There is never any excuse for anyone to leave the scene of any accident. I am sure the authorities will eventually identify and apprehend the person responsible for the death of your brother. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

xlsdraw and Jean Strand Lyons Thank this.
  9. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    My god....how bad for this family etc...I thought there is a build date code inside alot of lights ....does Ohio Troopers know this I could be wrong but I hope there is something that can be done...

Be Safe Our There

Captain Dave

Jean Strand Lyons Thanks this.
  10. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    I guess all those cameras they have dont really do any good after all.

11. Rockin&Rollin

Rockin&Rollin Heavy Load Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Orlando Florida
    I as I'm sure all of the other members here am very sorry to hear about the loss of your brother Douglas. Please accept our heartfelt condolences.

rda2580 and Jean Strand Lyons Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.