Truck cooking?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Commuter69, May 30, 2016.

1. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Is there such an invention that can hold a foil pack of food (meat, seasonings, veggies) in the engine compartment so you can use the engine heat to cook while rolling?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Did you cut the rope or still working for CRE?

4. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    You have me confused with someone else, but I am at home dealing with a family medical crisis (dad's in rehab for physical therapy and wound care.... he has a sore on his left foot about 3"square almost exposing bone that won't heal due to compromised circulation from diabetes). In the meantime, I am looking for new work as soon as he is back under control.

That said, anyone know of any carriers with terminals/drop yards within 60 minutes of downtown Sacramento, Ca?

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  5. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Hope everything works out, I also have diabetes and it's getting worse. Diabetes is tough to deal with. I can't help with the left coast but @Chinatown can.

OLDSKOOLERnWV and BigSky Thank this.
  6. horsecrazychic22

horsecrazychic22 Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2015
    The beautiful state of Oregon
    JB Hunt Intermodal in Stockton.

7. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    If you are handy it shouldn't be hard to fab something up.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Let's see.

There was a thing that you could have gotten 30 years ago that bolted to the manifold and you put your food on that, it was held on by clips. Have one somewhere but never tried it out. I also have two that one fits on a ford v8 and the other is for a Chevrolet 6, never used them but may if I take the Chevrolet on a road trip

There was a book a while ago called manifold destiny that I think is still in print, my oldest has my copy. I know there are two other books written that are for this, one written in the teens of the last century and one written in the mid-30's - both called road cook book.

9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Ever here about this stuff called aluminum foil. Camper fry pan with a clip on lid. Just set it on top of your head. I think its crazy to want to cook on your motor. SO many wrong impressions come to mind.
    Just buy a slow cooker to keep in your cab or a microwave.

10. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    When I was in Scouts(I didn't talk much about it since I disagreed with their stance on who could volunteer as leaders or be employees), I learned how to pouch cook over hot coals and read about how to do the same thing using the engine's heat, I just don't want to lose it while rolling....

firemedic2816 Thanks this.
  11. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I don't know where Dad got it, but he had something like that. Was a basket that hung by the motor. He wrapped stuff in foil, and put it in there. It even had a little book with it that told how many miles to drive to cook different stuff. That was back in '70 or so.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.