Truck Driver Charged With Criminally Negligent Homicide

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by STexan, Oct 8, 2016.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Here is an interesting story and back story about a truck driver being charged with negligent homicide following a 2015 crash in Alabama where he t-boned a motorist passing through a controlled intersection.

But it's important to note that there is a related story dealing with the situation of the traffic control light at that same intersection, where there appears to be inadequate time for trucks to stop at the posted speed limit.

Just goes to demonstrate that truck drivers face a lot of liability, IN ADDITION to the carrier. I don't know the particulars of exactly what happened that morning but it certainly seems as if this driver may have been at the wrong place, at the wrong moment, and was confronted with a no-win situation. That said, "Criminally Negligent Homicide" charge might indicate there is more to the story leading up to the crash.

In my opinion, any and every traffic control light on a road with a speed limit 50 MPH or higher should be preceded with a "warning sign" a 1/4 mile prior indicating the light ahead is about to go yellow/red. (especially if this is the first and only light for many miles either direction)

Truck driver indicted in fatal 2015 Highway 280 crash that killed mother
    (from September 2016 indictment involving 2015 Crash)

Safety concerns about 280 intersection where young mother was killed
    Intersection Dangers Story (posted October 2015)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    One thing I remember my instructor telling me while training for my CDL was that I could be cited for entering an intersection while the light was yellow. Even if it changed to yellow 15' prior to the truck entering the intersection, I was apparently supposed to find a way to stop. I thought he was being a hard### about it. I guess it wasn't all entirely BS after all.

x1Heavy and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. Jubal3

Jubal3 Heavy Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Central WA
    I've seen so many 4-wheelers blow through red lights it's not even funny. I've never seen a truck do it.

If he's getting charged with negligent homicide, you can bet either the DA is making a political move and is hoping for a plea-bargain or there is more to the story and they have the guy dead-to-rights.

Proving criminal negligence is a HARD case to prove in most states. If he's going to trial, my bet is that there is more to this story than meets the eye. I'm pretty good friends with a deputy DA. You wouldn't believe the crap they let slide because the case is only a 60-40% chance of a conviction. If they're going to trial on this, the DA probably thinks he has a 90% chance of a conviction, which means the driver must have done something pretty heinous.

The alternative is that it's a big local story and the DA doesn't care if he convicts. He's prosecuting for the political play. (Sad, but it happens). That they driver is sitting STILL in county jail on a measly $15k bail ($1500 cash) also speaks volumes.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    In Cuba,as backwards of a Society that they are, they have countdown clocks showing when the light is going to turn yellow, red or green.

Soo simple

6. Jubal3

Jubal3 Heavy Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Central WA
    Ya, i've seen those a couple of places here in the states, but Good lord, they would be a help more places.

I ran a red-light in Memphis a while back because I couldn't see the light over the top of the truck in front of me. Granted, I was turning and starting from a stop, so I could have jammed on the brakes and stopped on a dime. But still...

x1Heavy and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  7. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    tommymonza is on the money. I can remember reading about test traffic lights where the yellow is a countdown number while the green is still on before it goes to solid yellow. Where did I read this information? In a 1965 Popular Mechanics, when I was 13 years old.
    It was expensive technology then, analog and all. But with computers and led's it is a cinch. Except for the fact that the state and local higway departments would be in for a lot of money to replace the existing lights.
    But the fact that it could potentially save literally 1000's of lives per year is not part of the monetary equation. They would rather let a private company foot the bill for cameras at the intersection which do not enhance safety at all and just collect a check each month for bureaucrats to spend.
    Safety is never the real issue.

8. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Falsefying log books,driving under the influence,driving out of service or unsafe equipment,driving in restricted roads all are legal reasons to charge a driver with criminaly negligent homocide

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    50%-60% of the intersections where I live have that countdown clock. Problem with that is now all the clowns in a hurry will floor it to beat the light, then slam on the brakes before entering the intersection to avoid a photo radar ticket.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    That it's brilliant.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.