Truck Driver Charged With Criminally Negligent Homicide

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by STexan, Oct 8, 2016.

1. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I have a total disdain for accelerating red light blowers. My hometown in Florida is full of them.

If the light has a timer warning when the light is going to turn red and you accelerate through it , hang em high.

x1Heavy and RustyBolt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dharok

Dharok Medium Load Member

Jun 10, 2015
    We're not backwards, we just got stuck in time... You go there and it's like traveling back in time. Don't believe everything you hear on the media. This country is more communist than Cuba and it's getting worse lol... The irony

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Combination of prepare to stop (it WILL be yellow/red by the time you get there if you see these flash) as well as red light and speed camera seem to work well in Alberta.

5. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

At speed it takes only a few seconds to clear an intersection.

Still it's pretty embarrassing to hit the brakes at the last minute and overshoot the stop line. (Yeah, I've done it once or twice. It happens)

Now I'm sitting 5-8' into the intersection waiting for the light to change with people giving me the "you know,,,, you could have made it, right?" Look.

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Doesn't necessarily even need to be a uniform time, as long as any difference in time are based on the speed limit of the road, and the duration of the yellow is such that it allows ample time for everyone to get stopped...perhaps coupled with a line on the road indicating the fps @ the speed limit for the duration of the yellow to clear the intersection. If you've crossed the line, you'll make it...if not, better stop.

7. Defense lawyer

Defense lawyer Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Hi, I’m defending a trucker charged with crim neg hom after he hit black ice and slid into oncoming lane. Log books, and rests all good. No alcohol or drugs in system. At or below speed limit per logs and no weather related traffic warnings. Roads were clear with blowing snow.

Da claims that Jake being on medium with a 1/2 load and going faster than cars in slow lane but below speed limit was criminally negligent. She says that everyone knows that you turn your Jake off in bad weather (forgetting that road was clear apparently). Does anyone have an opinion on that?

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Lots of different takes on engine brake use on icy roads. Every situation is different. Traction can range from poor to fair, depending on lots of factors.

Most truck manufacturer's owner manuals (and the Jacobs company) has wording that generally discourage use of engine brakes on wet or icy roads. At the very least, a driver must be always very vigilant for a "negative torque lockup" event when there is no fuel being called for (Coasting)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  9. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    The issue with Jakes is they only ree-tard (otherwise it gets censored) a few wheels, while the rest roll free. I agree with the sentiment to turn them off, on slippery or wet roads but would also ask if the road conditions in general were okay for having the Jake turned on. In other words, was that patch an anomaly on that day? Jakes are easy to forget to turn off until they get in the way shifting the lower range in some situations.

I was driving up I-17 a while back on a dry mostly clear day with some strong gusts and came across a car in the median, then another, then a truck rammed into the rock wall on the outside of the opposing lane, then another wrecked car, then another truck. The road was very slightly wet on my side.

In the middle of seeing these wrecks I felt a slight slippage in my lanes at one point, the whole truck (doubles) seemed to go out from under me for a short interval. Then it was back gripping the road. I could see nothing wrong, just a slight sheen that looked like it had rained lightly not long ago. and that was my initial diagnosis, a light rain that had floated oil to the surface.

I was speaking about it with another driver later that day, they told me that a freak hailstorm had bombed that stretch suddenly and then blown off. In that case, none of those drivers had a chance. The two wrecked trucks were from decent companies with hiring standards, not megas, which is what made it remarkable. That, and one of the cars was on its roof.

At first it looked like one bad driver. But in those hilly blind conditions on a 75 mph highway, those drivers were caught unprepared and rendered helpless in an instant by something rare enough that none of them had a trained reaction that allowed them to handle it safely.

Without all those pieces I wouldn't have learned about a rare condition that can occur.

Defense lawyer and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    When I am on 5 during Santa Anna Season, I get to worry.

It literally shows a section of clean swept pavement nicely.

I hit a 100+ mph river of flow Santa Ama here I go onto my outside wheels with th einside wheels all the way up off the pavement.

I followed my trailer's tandems across several lanes. Once out of that river of strong wind she slammed back down onto her inside wheels.

OSD was not happy. (Over shorts and damage)

To be honest I don't understand tho this day =why

I was on 70 rolling against my Governor in Missouri the Show State; A storm passed before I arrived from over a hill.

What was revealed to me was a mile and change of nice wet ICE from hail stones this big, here I am coming off the hill from 72 to a little bit near 80. Loaded. I thought I was a dead man for sure.

Kept my foot on the floor and dead straight on that steering wheel.

It was one of those scares where I spent the next state considering going home by air. To hell with the entire industry.

I'm glad I resolved that question. But that was a very very long mile. T i c k t o c k t i c k t o c k...

Defense lawyer Thanks this.
  11. Defense lawyer

Defense lawyer Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2018

He was coming over a hill and starting on a downgrade. 45 mph was his speed. The downgrade is south facing, it is a known black ice issue for locals but there are no warnings. Aside from drift snow blowing the roads were clear. He was not passing semis he passed two passenger cars who happen to have locals in them. The posted speed for the area is 55/65.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.