truck during home time

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by IluvCATS, Aug 28, 2016.

1. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    My first home time is coming up. I cannot keep the truck at my address, local laws. So as an alternative Ive found a $10 per day truck stop about an hour away. I expect to have about 4-5 days off (been away 6 weeks). So should I turn off the APU? Should I hide the Qualcomm? What basic things have you guys done before leaving your company truck in a lot during home time? Then on your last day to go back on the board, did you go sit in your truck, send a macro wait for a preplan all day? BTW I do have the transflo app and it enables me to accept loads (at least say "yes" to my DM). Thx guys.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Why don't you ask these questions your dispatcher

4wayflashers and Canned Spam Thank this.
  4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Turn off apu.
    Trust me, nobody is going to steal your qualcomm

Act like you're going to take a shower, draw the curtains.

Later on, try to find a spot that's not in a truck stop. Go on Craigslist or go ask around.

I park my truck in a construction company yard and it's less than a minute away from my house. I can see my preplan on my phone and can go to my truck to see messages. Usually for me there's a return time I set up to be ready to leave or they call me

Chinatown, IluvCATS and tucker Thank this.
  5. IluvCATS

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    ok if you really want to know. The majority of my communications with my DM are misspelled single lines of text via the qualcomm. Thats it. Ive also found other answers in my company manual but those are about policy and how to get home time. I'm not lazy or stupid. I only ask here now because I just finally got a load to my home state. I'm driving all day 2 days now with a camera in my face and a policy about no handheld devices. So I have limited time. I may be home as soon as tomorrow. Its just that I don't want to make a mistake and many people here are actually helpful. Strange, huh?

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Construction company is good, as is just about any lawn care, or concrete place and such. Some RV storage places have the room for a semi, as do some self storage placers. In my experience dispatch can not / will not help other than quoting the company policy of 'secure location.' Heck maybe even a local farmer will rent a place out, or even the county grain elevator. In one of those 6 days simply drive out in the rural part of the county and look for businesses with large gravel and dirt lots and see if the owner will allow you to park, or rent a parking spot.

-Steven

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Yup, very strange, one would think a 2 minute phone call would answer all the questions

Toomanybikes and Sublime Thank this.
  8. IluvCATS

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    2 minutes to leave a vm that wont be returned. I already got the info i was looking for in 2 mins.

Riffman and Broke Down 69 Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you park at the truckstop, don't park on the back row. Try to park near the front or on the front row. As posted by "w.h.o.", close the curtains so it looks as if you're inside sleeping. Turn everything off. Enter the truckstop building thru the back door and exit the front door to your car. This way, any misfit that sees you enter the back door of the truckstop with your bags will think your heading for the shower and will return soon.

10. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Huge industrial parks are a good place for parking . Most assume your dropping or waiting on a load .

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  11. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Its because they get charge for every character they sent and receive. Also you got a camera pointed at your face? Dude....
    Indeed.com
    Monster.com
    Craigslist.com
    Or better yet
    Thetruckersreport.com and click on driving jobs or job posting here

TheFriscoKid, Bean Jr. and IluvCATS Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.