Truck has been sitting

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by OMT2, May 28, 2016.

1. OMT2

OMT2 Bobtail Member

May 28, 2016
    I just recently bought a 2008 KW T660 the truck has been sitting for 2.5 years without starting it, truck was running before shutting down... Has any had the same experience with this and if so what do u recommend that gets done to truck before starting? It has a Cummings six thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Drain all fuel from the tanks before first start, new oil, new fuel filters.

OMT2 Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    DO NOT fire that thing up. As Snailexpress stated, drain ALL fuel, Filters and so forth from that thing before you crank.

Fresh batteries all around.

All Fluids need changing. Including fresh fuel.

Almost three years will introduce abuse from weather and neglect that will crop up and it will be the fuel first.

Trucks will run forever when wiped, cleaned, driven and cared for. But make em sit that long or longer, you got problems.

Last thought to add.

Tires. Replace em all because the belts inside the rubber (If it started to crack especially) are square and maybe rusted themselves due to the moisture content of the air inside of them and weather.

Go through several cans of grease and go over everything. It's going to be stiff.

NWAF, blairandgretchen and OMT2 Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    ^^^^
    Everything he said.

Looks like an ex Van Kampen truck, out of Michigan? Could try contacting them for maintenance records if you go about it right.

6. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Don't forget to replace the wheel seals. My truck sat for two years and when I put it on the road all 6 wheel seals went out in the first few weeks.

blairandgretchen and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. Dazed&Confused

Dazed&Confused Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2014
    AFTER you get it started and rolling, do a short run- 25-30 miles to warm the trans and rear diffs. Then change those fluids. Condensation will have gotten into the gear oil.
    Change the hydraulic fluid in the clutch system, it too will absorb moisture and will create issues.
    All the leveling valves will need to be replaced- rubber diaphragms will rot from lack of use.
    Check the air tanks carefully for leaks- any water that was in them has created rust.

My truck sat for 4-5 years before I bought it. It had been driven into a barn in Kansas and shut down. Previous owner died from Cancer, widow and family finally decided to sell it. They were all set to turn the key and drive it out but gave me the benefit of the doubt and let me change all the fluids, fuel filters, hoses, etc on site after I paid for it. Little stuff like the o-rings on the firewall pass thru have leaked- New pass-thru installed. New airbags installed, air governor, dash valves, etc.
    Be ready to work on it for awhile.

NWAF and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  8. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I don't know guys . I hear and understand what most of you are saying but really 2 years isn't really all that bad.
    It's also a fairly newish truck. I'd beg to differ and say you'll be fine. I'd still change all the fluids just because it is a new to you truck but that's about as far as I'd go. Good luck.

AModelCat and rollin coal Thank this.
  9. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Check the brake shoes, more than likely rust jacked, which means the water gets behind the brake pad, rusts, then expands, cracking the brake pads.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    When I bought my truck it had been sitting for over two years.
    I stuck a mop handle in the tank and checked a fuel sample.
    It looked and smelled ok.
    I checked all the fluids and they were ok.
    Charged the battery and it fired right up (cummins )
    Drove it ten miles home and changed the oil.
    After that I put it on the road and started using it.
    Didn't have any problems just regular maintenance.
    Maybe I'm just lucky...........

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I sold a truck been sitting 5 years to an exporter. this is what he did.
    Turn the motor by hand, make sure is smooth rotation. Disconnect fuel /electric to pump .key on to circulate oil. Then reconnect .he drove truck to twin cities then to Laredo TX with no issues.
    Good luck with your new baby.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.