Truck Parking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by firemedic2816, Jul 28, 2016.

1. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    So where does one park a T.T on home time. I could probably get the Tractor in the driveway but NOT BOTH. I live 2 miles from a Pilot/Flying J and about 5 miles from TA. Do they allow unattended parking. Just filled out an application with Maverick and just curious if anyone could advise. They DO NOT have a lot close enough to secure it in. I notice there is a "Tractor Trailer" parking on a guys private gravel lot...should one trust these lots?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    Just park it at Pilot. As long as you aren't just dropping the trailer and bobtailing nobody will ever say a word.

firemedic2816 Thanks this.
  4. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    You can go in & sign a waiver at most ta's. I forgot what the exact form is called been a couple years since I was otr. You can drop your trailer...wait think it was a drop trailer form!
    Hell I don't remember....
    But ask for it and they'll prob have it at the ta unless there is a no dropped trailer sign or at pilot they have them posted with a bunch of locations that don't allow it.

Name phone truck/trailer number company date departing.
    Says they aren't liable for theft or damage blah blah...go back in and sign out on the day you leave. No big deal.

I'd leave it there at the ta. Less likely to get tore up than at pilot. Bobtail home.
    I never dropped trailer at a pilot but a 45 degree ta I didn't care to. Go get my groceries or whatnot...lol.

5. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    Why deprive a driver a place to park while you sit at home? Talk to the guy with the gravel lot and do some research as I'm sure you can find a safe place that is cheap

6. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Go on Craigslist and go to "parking/storage"
    Or go asking around. Do you really trust a truck stop to not damage or get stuff stolen from u?

firemedic2816 Thanks this.
  7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Plus when we see you pull your car up to your truck and load your laundry and other stuff, we have a real good feeling that truck will be unattended to for days.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  8. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In my time there is a VERY specific form at the fuel desk in most truckstops. If you requested a vehicle parking form or a trailer drop form, you will be handed a clipboard with a current listing of trailers being hold there on the property with a tin full of keys to kingpin locks and a few tractors too. You sign in that form your trailer, unit information etc and then you hand over the key to the king pin lock you put on that trailer and also the tractor key (An extra .. don't give them the only key) so they have custody for a few days.

It's been a long time since I made use of this form. But there was a time I used it quite a bit. For example Pulled into Fort wayne and sit for 4 days on a 4th July Holiday. Or drop a trailer into Emlenton so another tractor can come get it from Dispatch. Or whatever. My home stop was the old Frederick 76 and I used to stick my whole 18 wheeler into it on the form at the fuel desk and someone picked me up or I drove my car home.

Now fast forward to my last year in 2001, I parked my tractor in the home and lands. We had acreage and gravel put down for that reason. So it's a luxury. Plus a fund of 500 dollars to get it out should a bad rain or hurricane blow through requiring a wrecker to pull it out. (We did this twice... company never knew.)

Many drivers in my area gather on someone's lot, truckstop or a store with carnival grounds to park in for a while. If you are through these places regularly, you get a very good idea over time which are there for a long time.

10. Riffman

Riffman Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Phoenix, az
    Has maverick been any help? They may know of a place or could point you in the right direction. Some companies have certain policies on where you can leave their rigs

11. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Times have long changed. They don't hold your keys.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.