Truck vs Bicycle Chicago

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by HalpinUout, Aug 16, 2016.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Probably because the city might have an ordinance prohibiting bicycles on the sidewalk. It's the same way in Boston area and outlying suburbs,the lion's share of the communities prohibit bicycle use on the sidewalk( you can be cited) and as such they're forced to use the streets.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    Bikers can't use the sidewalks... In most cases they are specifically prohibited.

Bikers have rights and can use lanes of traffic... Anytime. They are considered any other vehicle.

Truckers can NEVER run over people, bikers, other cars.....

Very sad.

Lepton1 and not4hire Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Based on the driving habits of the general populace, I ride on the sidewalk. Bylaws and the cops can suck an egg.

5. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    The news tonight updated the story and said the Truck driver has been cited for driving in a bike lane.

6. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    We're use to fanetik spelling

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Yeah, I kind of get that it's a standard ordinance, but I've never understood the idea of prohibiting bicycles from sidewalk use.

It almost seems like it would be better to expand the sidewalk area a little more for bicycle use, rather that use up that space in the street to create a bike lane.

8. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Dealt with this just today with blinding rain here in SW Florida.
    Dumazz. Bicyclist running the bike lane I n blinding rain 10 feet from the curb in the Bike Lane.

Good Luck with that here with the old blind people.

Darwin had a idea ,dirtball attorney's counter .

Big Don and Hurst Thank this.
  9. allniter

allniter Medium Load Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I 10 FL exit 70
    Dig it :cool:! Bikes are required to ride in the same direction as vehicles. I refuse b/c I dont want these moron drivers coming up behind me so I cant see what their doing:eek::eek:. I feel its safer for a bike to ride so they are facing oncoming traffic so they can see whats happenning.

10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Sad situation for both. Its hard enough to drive and watch out for other careless drivers in heavy traffic. And not making any excuse for the trucker,.. but I have had some close calls with both motor cycles and bicycles. We all have to be alert,.. not just the drivers.

I personally would never trust my life to other people and ride a bicycle in the streets with them. I've had them flip the middle finger salute at me for unknown reasons as they rode splitting the lane between me and another car to the left of me. Yet some how I am wrong or deserved the insult?

Be safe out there.

Hurst

11. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    That's pretty common in parts of Northern Ontario. Most of them at least wear 'safety' shirts now but not all. Usually you can time it with oncoming traffic but I've been pretty close to coming to a stop on the highway while a line of oncoming traffic goes by before being able to pass the cyclist safely. It seems way too dangerous to allow them on the highways but it is what it is.

As for this accident I feel for the driver but come on. He was almost at the intersection and obviously turning right. Wait for the cyclist to clear the intersection, even if you have to stop. I don't care how much of a hurry I'm in or how bad a day I'm having or whatever, I see a 2 wheeler on the roadway and I get the patience of Job. It's just way too dangerous to be that close to a bicycle.

I don't know, maybe the cyclist came out of nowhere and did something stupid.

Lepton1 and KillingTime Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.