Truck Weight Wireless Onboard Scale System

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by soloflyr, Aug 18, 2015.

1. soloflyr

soloflyr Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Hey all you fellow heavy haulers,

Just curious if any of you have experience with the onboard wireless scale system offered by Truck Weight?

Have looked at them online & spoke to them about their system. Basically a sensor per axle group, retail is $499 per sensor & the handheld controller is $499, but they will cut a deal, quoted me at $400 per sensor & the same for the handheld.

Supposedly good within 1% per axle group & it uses a virtual sensor for the steers, whatever that means. The sensors are suppose to be good up to 100k per axle group also.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Unless convenience is super important to you, you can just mount an air pressure gauge on an airbag at each axle.

As for the steer "virtual" steer sensor -- it just estimates based on your drive weight & calibration setting.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Dominick253 and soloflyr Thank this.
  4. soloflyr

Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for your reply. I know about the air pressure gauge way of doing it but was figuring this system might be better, more accurate, for those times it is real close.

Kind of figured that was the way the virtual sensor worked. They make sensors for air & spring systems so it would seem to me that it would make more sense to just get an actual sensor for the steers.

5. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    Sounds like a wireless version of AirWeigh, which I have so yes I use them. The sensors that AirWeigh uses measures PSI in 1/64 per PSI increments. Because it measures the air pressure in that small of increments they are quite accurate when *PROPERLY calibrated.
    You will only need one sensor per group, not individual axles. All 4 air bags are tied together in a tandem application, so there will be no difference between the front and rear axle for example.

No, there is no sensor for a spring that I'm aware of. How it works is during calibration of the drives, it will also ask for the steering weight, you input the empty weight, then the loaded weight. It calculates the percentage of increase from empty to loaded on the steering based on the increase of the drives and gives you a "virtual" weight based off of said calculation.

Special Note:
    *PROPERLY calibrated means you must resist the urge to think "Well you know super trucker, if I pad the loaded weight just a little, then I'll always be good."
    Avoid this thought process, remember, the sensors measure PSI in 1/64ths...so let's say your loaded weight is at 40,000lbs at 72PSI...72 * 64= 4608 units to the computer, so even a small increase for "padding" throws future calculations way out of whack.
    Calibrate it properly, and then pad the weight a little from the display.
    Also, good calibration practices are to calibrate on a known accurate scale, use the same scale for both the loaded and empty weights as it removes even small variances, which as I've shown can reduce accuracy.

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed and soloflyr Thank this.
  6. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Since you are obviously well versed on this I have a question, I just ordered a new truck single rear axle but with an Air Weigh three way gauge setup, I will be pulling a single axle trailer, so am I correct to assume that with an air ride ft axle I will be able to get actual weights on all three axles, correct?

Thx Stan

7. soloflyr

Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Thank you for your reply Heavy Hammer.

Good info helps make a good decision.

8. CruisingAlong

CruisingAlong Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    soloflyr Thanks this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've seen some trucks, mainly low beds, that use a pair of load cells bolted to the frame and the 5th wheel pivot pins pin to them. Something like that should give you an accurate reading of your drive weights and if you've got the 5th wheel positioned correctly your steer weights should be legal as well. I'll see if I can find a link.

soloflyr Thanks this.
  10. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    soloflyr Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Sorry the link is kind of messed up. You might have to do a little searching on that website to find it.

soloflyr Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.