Trucker Killed a Teenager & Kept Going

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Nitemare13, Sep 26, 2015.

1. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Of course it's always that way

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I agree that he may not have felt it. While it seems obvious that a driver would feel it, its not unusual in my experience.

In 2007 I come up on a back up in construction & had completely stopped (I think) & a guy in a dually pulling a loaded.. & I mean LOADED cattle trailer, couldnt stop in time & caught my left rear trailer. I didnt know a thing about it. I did notice the truck come by me in the median with his right fender & hood all tore up. Then just eased on by me & somebody up a head, let him back in. I just gave it thought... I wonder if that guy hit my trailer & went in the median. So, I pulled off the road onto the shoulder & checked my trailer. There was no damage. As I started back to the truck, he pulled over, got out & checked his truck. I walked up to him & sure enough he couldn't get stopped & hit my trailer. Tore out his head light, fender & hood was all bent way up in the air. I never felt a thing ... & I was stopped when he hit me I think.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  4. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

Exactly. Was coming in here expecting another story like that one driver that ran someone over, then went and bought new tires, and the company power washed the frame to hide any evidence

5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Very misleading thread title.

Big Don Thanks this.
  6. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    You would think so. I got rear ended by a crack head in a left turning lane in a old Buick. If I didn't look in my left mirror as I was making my turn I wouldn't have seen it until I stopped and saw my dot bumper was pushed to my tandems lol.

I saw her in my mirror and thought wtf did I just back into this Car well I still,wasn't sure even after I was running towards her car until I saw the back of my trailer. she hit so hard that her car split,in the middle and the motor was on the ground. I was around 80k. I had a lot,of pictures but don't know which phone I have them on. But that's when I realized if someone ever got hooked onto my dot bumper I wouldn't probably not notice it until I came to a full stop.

7. FuzzFace2

FuzzFace2 Medium Load Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Angier, N.C.
    How many of you can see right behind you if a car is tucked up tight? This car was tucked up even tighter and if right behind even if the driver did feel a bump and checked mirror he would not have seen anything and kept on trucking.
    Dave ----

8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Yeah, this was my thought upon reading the article.

Geeze, this is something I never even gave a thought to! I always just figured I WOULD feel it if somebody hit me. I guess ignorance, (mine) actually is bliss.

9. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    I'd say on some real ####ty roads it'd be especially easy to miss. I hit a section of interstate in Arkansas a couple weeks ago that could've cleared an etch a sketch board

10. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    http://wfla.com/2015/09/26/hillsborough-teen-killed-in-crash-with-semi/

Overtook the trailer and hit the rear of the vehicle?

I guess it doesn't really matter exactly how it happened. She screwed up and unfortunately paid the ultimate price.

11. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    THIS^^^^^^^^^^

That particular stretch of I-75 is really bad. Been under construction for several years, and has all kinds of bumps and dips, as well as some bad grooves from them cutting out old lines and changing traffic patterns. I'm with the "he likely never felt it" group on this one....

tinytim Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.