Trucking-friendly plan in Congress decried as attack on safety

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by c64basic, May 4, 2015.

1. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    No thanks.... I'd seen plenty of 48' doubles wrecking on the toll road in my home state(NY), and witnessed a fatal one years ago. I cringe at the thought of triple 53' being pulled. Triple pups are bad enough. All that new safety technology isn't going to negate the stupidity of the idiots being cranked out by the CDL mills.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jimbobillybob

jimbobillybob Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2011
    CT
    They are twin 33 foot pups not 45-48-53.

Have you noticed fedex freight and ups freight buying twin screws, think it could be anticipation of gross weight increase for this double 33 footers combination.

Someone on another board said they are already testing this combination in Texas with FedEx Ground.

4. Ken Worth

Ken Worth Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    Seems like the rise in truck-related deaths coincides with the implementation of CSA and the exit of experienced drivers. The new drivers sit at the dock all day compliantly taking their ten hour break and then try to drive when they should be sleeping.....plain dumb.

I'd be okay with doubles companies like Fed Ex pulling longer trailers if they'd require 63mph governors on them as well. You can tell they're being pushed too hard just by the way they drive around you.

The hours of service should be something more like 15 hours a day ,7 days a week, do whatever you want but the same hours every day. Then you'd have plenty of time to make up for a bad shipper without changing your sleep pattern. It'll never happen because the purpose of the current logging system is to punish every driver for the bad behavior of the bottom-feeding companies.

5. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Trailers can haul more freight, fewer drivers needed. Wages go....... no where because of the glut of drivers looking for work.

Yep this is a good idea.

6. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    33's .. hmm seen a Walmart driver yesterday pulling two 45's .. First time I've seen a walmart driver like that, its usually a 53.

Watching

7. zentrucking

zentrucking Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Atlanta
    That's the problem, evolving trucks to the point and driving characteristics of the family RV.

Comfort and ease of controls don't change the raw physics of handling twins on open highways, and like it or not this industry will be dominated by average drivers changing careers, most with less than 100k miles under their belts - in any vehicle.

8. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Somebody just gotta have the balls to tell these shippers, "NO! You CANNOT tie up my truck at your dock for 8 hours because your HR personell didn't schedule adequate labor for the load out. Not for free anyway."

If more companies would stand up for their drivers on this subject things would change.

I've heard other load planers say things along the lines of, "instead of moving to a bigger warehouse, XYZ corp just keeps ordering more trailers and not returning any empties. They're using our boxes for extra warehouse space. "

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.