Trucking school Week 1

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Giocrypt, May 29, 2015.

1. Giocrypt

Giocrypt Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2013
    So I just wanted to share some thoughts on my experiences at the trucking school I am attending and how I am doing. Hopefully this will help some people that are thinking about going through it make a decision if this is something they want to do as well as provide those with experience in the business with some laughs about what "it used to be like."

So first week was short week only 3 days in instead of 4 due to the holiday. So far the most difficult things about driving the truck is double clutching, I knew I was going to have a problem with this. During my practice the instructor and I notice two things, most of the time when I shifted I did it all in one motion (like in a regular manual transmission car) and when I did double clutch I did it too fast or too forceful also I have been told that I need to keep more of a steady hand when I shift and that I tend to be too rough with the stick. I was told I needed to slow down.

So far I have had no problem up shifting or down shifting I got the whole give it some RPMs thing its not that hard but I can see why people have trouble with it, its like holding to opposite ideas in your head at the same time you have to hit the accelerator in order to slow the engine down.

All and all a good first week I think, thanks to my straight truck experience I don't have to worry too much about pre-trip stuff since I have done it before and I already know the name of most of the parts that I will be looking at.

Anyway 7 Weeks to go hopefully they will all be as good as this one.

Questions, comments please feel free.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. J2H

J2H Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Havre de Grace, MD
    Keep up the good work!

4. jet460

jet460 Heavy Load Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Modesto, Ca
    A semi is a big machine and the gears are not going to mesh as quickly as they do on a car. There are no synchronizers, so YOU are the synchronizer now. It's all about timing. When upshifting on flat ground, you need about a 300-400RPM drop before you can get in the next gear. If you shift at about 1500 RPMs, when the RPM drops to about 1200, that is where you will get the next gear. Takes about 2 seconds.(one alligator two alligator)On an uphill, you there will be a higher RPM drop (closer to 500-600), so you hold the gas longer before attempting to shift.
    Everyone struggles with this at first.
    Double clutching is CDL school stuff.
    After you get used to how the truck works, you won't need to use the clutch unless you are stopped or trying to get through an intersection quickly.
    They actually shift much easier and smoother without it, once you get the timing down.
    Skipping gears is another thing you will figure out.
    4-6-8 is fine if you are empty.
    3 alligators between shifts.

After a while this will all be an afterthought.

Good luck with it all.
    You will get there.

5. MCribbs

MCribbs Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Hmm, I never skip gears on upshift. Only downshift. Interesting.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  6. jet460

jet460 Heavy Load Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Modesto, Ca
    You will learn.

7. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Good luck to you.

8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Like Mr jet460 mentioned, it's all about timing. Double clutching is almost like doing a 2 step dance in a seat with your left foot and right hand. Like a slow heartbeat rhythm. 1-2 shift. 1-2shift. 1-2 shift. Main thing to concentrate on is the right hand. The gears will feel like gates. you will feel the gears spinning. RPMs up, shift count "1-2". The gears will slow and they will stop and the gate is open, all by the time you count "2". SHIFT. Once you learn the rhythm, you can dance to the music.

street beater Thanks this.
  9. Giocrypt

Giocrypt Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2013
    I am sure as time goes by all this advise will start to make sense I really appreciate it. Thank you.

10. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    What triple said. Get a beat in your head, the beat runs your hand, your ears tell you if you need a few revs or not.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.