Trucks vs Massachusetts low train Bridge

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Johny41, Aug 24, 2015.

1. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    And the moral of this story is? Don't play chicken with a bridge. The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously. Henry A. Kissinger

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Did you like my play on words there-- 'the bridge did not hit my trailer' as opposed to 'my trailer did not hit the bridge' ?

4. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I agree.

There is no excuse to have most low clearance bridges anymore.
    A small excavation and paving project would fix this bridge clearance issue.

It's also a disgrace that Massachusetts is so dumb that they installed a camera on the bridge but no additional warning signs or devices.

tech10171968 and runningfr8 Thank this.
  5. Moving Forward

Moving Forward Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2014
    New England, USA
    You just reminded me of a big scare I had over in New Jersey on a highway that suddenly had signs indicating the bridge I was about to go under was only 13' 6" two lanes over from where I was... talk about a need to change the undershorts. Fortunately, traffic wasn't that bad so I was able to quickly get over but it was a close call and a BIG learning experience.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Just before downtown Fort Mac there is a sensor system kind of like on a garage door. If a truck breaks the laser beam, it's too tall to fit under the next group of underpasses and it sets off a big sign with flashing lights indicating the truck is to take the oversize bypasses. It's not 100% perfect since it sometimes goes off during snow storms but I'm sure it's probably prevented a couple accidents in its time.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    There's one like that down in Hampton Roads VA, I was navigating my team partner, telling him to take the exit for that freeway, he was busy talking on his phone and kept straight. Atlas said this way was OK but when we got to the bridge the bridge tender said we had to turn around. My team partner was p/o when he saw another truck like ours get waived through the bridge so he turned around and tried to go again the bridge tender was real P/O and ordered us to turn around. Team partner trying to blame me for it all I said 30 miles ago I told you to take the exit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.