Trying to figure this business out

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Drollixinc, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Drollixinc

Drollixinc Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Good Morning All,

I need you advice again, Dispatching is such a tricky thing so, I want to ask the professionals what are good hauling rates?
    And how do you calculate if your getting paid well/great or crappy? My boss constantly tells me oh get more money.....ask for more money but its easier said then done on most situations. I ask for more and I get thats the best i could do or they might add $40 if im lucky.

For example if im going? 1400 miles out one way not including coming back to home base, with 6 - 8 vehicles. What should my rate per mile be at?

And will that rate be the same for shorter runs such as 800 - 400 with 6-8 vehicles?

Thank you,

Melissa

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Bottom line is what does it cost per mile to operate, using data from at least 3 financial quarters.

4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    If you are hauling irregular route vehicles your rates will change every day depending on how many trucks are looking for loads in the same area, how many cars need to be shipped, time of the year, etc. What is good money one week may be crap the next. Ideally, it is good money if you can make a decent profit off the load. I define a decent profit as 30-40% after all expenses, assuming all your expenses are accurately accounted for (including funds for the eventual replacement of your equipment).

As for local vs. long haul rates, it is typical for the rate per mile to be lower the longer the haul and the more units you get from one shipper/location. Another way of saying that, if dealer A has a full truckload at one auction he is going to want a decent discount per unit but if he only has one here and one there he knows he has to pay more per unit to get them moved. Short haul usually pays more per mile because it eats up a lot of your available hours and is a pain to build a full load every day. It is so much easier to spend one day gathering up/building a load then the next three days just driving.

I hope this helps you get a better understanding. Thanks for asking the right questions.

5. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    That's exactly how we do it for two of our carriers. Seems it's really the only way to make a profit running irregular routes.

brian991219 and Drollixinc Thank this.
  6. Drollixinc

Drollixinc Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Thank you, it does help, I really appreciate it. By Irregular do you mean a local runs with 3 pick and 3 drops senario?

7. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    Easy, enough to cover operating costs and have enough left to profit

8. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Irregular route means not a dedicated customer, so any work you take off a broker instead of a dealer or auction that is tour direct and usual customer. Another example, my fleet euns the same routes every day, we have about 30 dealerships we service exclusively under an agreement with three different auctions, so that is regular route work as opposed to just hoping to find a good load somewhere from a random broker or even from the same load board.

Viceroy1 and Terry270 Thank this.
  9. Beez1000

Beez1000 Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    It seems like with these crappy rates, you have no choice but to run irregular routes In order to make good money even though u may have several stops...

10. SLANT6

SLANT6 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    The Nut House
    "Trying to get this business figured out"

Hmm. Just when you think you have it...

The Monkey Wrench Gnome throws the big one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.