Tulare Orientation question

Discussion in 'Knight' started by 101truckman, Jun 16, 2015.

1. 101truckman

101truckman Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Ca.
    Hi all,
    anyone have recent info on what to expect as far as road test at Tulare orientation?..ie: can one float gears or do they expect double clutch?...is there a particluar route they have you run? is one expected to do pre-trip inspection?
    does one get paid for the 3 days there?...if so how much & when?
    having 6 mos exp & wanting to run 11 west on the 7-10/on-3/off...what can I expect?..& where can I expect to run mostly?..do they force you to chain-up & go head-on during winter months?
    is Tulare a decent terminal to be based out of?...their office & DM staff?
    am trying to decide between them & May Trucking

I also read elsewhere here on TTR that only plug-in inverter is allowed with Knight..plugging into cig receptacle only pushes approx 150watts which isnt much especially when wanting to run a small micro, small 1 cup coffee maker or fridge to help save $ while out on road...I have 12v cooler & 12v lunchbox cooker but guess one has to do without the others & spend $ on coffee or use truckstop microwave while out on road.

Knight does not allow hooking a 400w to 2000w inverter upto batteries?
    sorry for all the questions...

Thank`s for any input or advice!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. refreshe

refreshe Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2015
    can one float gears or do they expect double clutch?

They want to see that you can drive safely and get the truck down the road without tearing it up. They don't care how you get the shifting done.

where can I expect to run mostly?

Up and down the 5, you will see the bay area and the greater LA area a lot. The short leash makes sure they can get you home on time.

do they force you to chain-up & go head-on during winter months?

Chain - yes. Drive through a blowing snow storm - No

Tulare a decent terminal to be based out of?

yes

their office & DM staff?

Young and Eager, they try. You won't see them much because they work in Arizona.

trying to decide between them & May Trucking

6 of one, half a dozen of another. Not much difference overall between the two.

Inverters?

Yep plug in only. Use your cooler and lunch box oven. Knight has a lot of terminals with microwaves and you'll see them often for fuel and drop/hooks - tulare, portland, seattle, Las Vegas, Phx, Fontana, SLC

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    101truckman Thanks this.
  4. 101truckman

Apr 21, 2015
    Ca.
    Appreciate the info refreshe!
    so I assume all fueling at their terminals?...not much fueling at truck stops to earn shower credits?
    are trucks allowed to be taken home on time off?..or dropped in yard/terminal?

5. refreshe

refreshe Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Not all terminals have fuel and you will still get 50% of your fill ups at pilot/flying J. If your card is open at a particular stop you can put in 50 gals to get a shower credit. If you do it too often they'll ding your bonus. Some terminals also have showers. Their quality and cleanliness vary though.

Terminals with fuel:
    Portland
    Vegas
    Phoenix
    SLC(across the street)

Terminals with showers:
    Portland
    Tulare
    Fontana
    Phoenix
    Salt Lake City

6. refreshe

refreshe Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Let me know when you are headed to orientation. I'm going back to Knight so I'll be in the class on either the 20th or 27th.

7. refreshe

refreshe Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Taking the truck home is allowed if you don't live within a certain distance of a terminal.

8. 101truckman

Apr 21, 2015
    Ca.
    Thank`s!
    matter of fact after couple of weeks of applying I got a follow up call from recruiter today but still have not decided whether I`ll sign on with knight...

I prefer dry van & Co. main terminal in Calif but recently was offered to run 11 west/reefer, 12 on/2 off, well maintained trucks have built in fridge, 1000w inverters & navigation, a decent sign on bonus, roughly the same cpm as knight but with safety cpm bonuses & without sliding scale so...
    am kinda leaning towards reefer

9. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Last time I was in Tulare, it smelled really bad in the whole office, and no, I don't mean cow pies and that, more like a couple of rats died in the wall bad, it was horrible. Hard to believe they cleaned that place out and it's only a shop with one safety guy there anymore.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.