Turn up CAT 3406E

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by gregrob, Sep 28, 2010.

1. ShomotionDenver

ShomotionDenver Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Thank you all for your input. I purchased a C15 awhile back from a buddy who runs a wrecking yard outside of Chicago. It came out of a wrecked 2001 Kenworth. To make shipping easier, my buddy left it bolted to the frame rails and cut the frame out, a redneck pallet you could say :) In any case, the id tag had been steamed / power washed off, all I know is that it's a C15. If I take the engine into Wagner Cat in Denver will they be able to generate a serial # ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr. Haney

Mr. Haney Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Yes they will be able to retrieve the engine serial number for you. It should start with 6NZ. You can also have them tell you the present power rating, along with what the earlier power ratings that are stored in the history of the ECM. You should also have them set the PPM from your truck into the ECM.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  4. MackDaddyMark

MackDaddyMark Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Elizabeth, New Jersey
    Mr. Haney any ideas on how to squeeze some more power out of a 3406C in a 96 Pete 378?

5. Mr. Haney

Dec 17, 2008
    Sorry, I'm not up on that engine well enough to give you advise. If this has the half breed mechanical/electronic fuel pump, the only thing that wuld really be an option is to change the fuel pump for an earlier B model pump.

6. MackDaddyMark

MackDaddyMark Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Elizabeth, New Jersey
    Thats what I figured...thanks for the quick reply! :)

7. Mr. Haney

Dec 17, 2008
    Your welcome

8. hardluck 444

hardluck 444 Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Ponototoc,MS
    Need help. I have a 1lw 475hp that pulls like a 330hp detroit. I've had to put a cam in it checked the numbers timing codes did a cutout test had the cat house do an injector test still is very weak. the moter has kind of a fludder in it but its not a dead miss and can't pin point anything on a cut out test. Please help im stumped.

9. sulltran

sulltran Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston,MA
    I have changed the flt/fts in these with good results but that is about all you can do that I am aware of.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.