Turns out this outfit hasn't registered its trailers in over two years! Can I sue?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Infosaur, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Because guess how I found out?

I wish finding out your employer was criminally negligent enabled you to collect unemployment.

Hopefully they'll pay the ticket but it's gonna be on MY CSA!!!

Arrrrggghhh!!

Time to run screaming from this outfit or what?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    That will be an interesting one as a driver though we have a certain responsibility to make sure everything is road worthy however a lawyer that is expert with traffic infringements, will set the record straight.

4. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    What would you sue them for?

It is your responsibility to pretrip equipment and checking registration should be part of your inspection.

5. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

OR, time to buy your own trailer? I realize it may not be practical if you are D and H ing.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  6. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    I worked for a company that had this problem....my solution was...don't pull it. This was all drop and hook accounts so I would get a legal trailer and have shipper reload...left the illegal trailer for company to deal with.

TBonze and TruckDuo Thank this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    What kind of tag does it have? Many trailer/state registrations are "permanent". But if it requires a yearly renewal/registration, then there obviously a lot of other drivers and shop personnel not doing there job, either.

8. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    well I know he lives in the Keystone and pa dies have PT trailer tags...but the reg has to b renewed yearly....but the tag does nit require a yearly sticker is all

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  9. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    CA "permanent" tags have to be renewed every 5 years

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  10. Infosaur

Yeah prior employers used permanent tags. So dumb me didn't think to check.

At this point, who knows? maybe they're even stolen! Anyone wanna run a VIN?

The reason I'm considering legal action (and this is only as a last resort, doesn't hurt to plan for worst case scenario) is a guilty plea (paying the fine) would still go against my personal CSA, and would be detrimental to me leaving the company. in short, their negligence has put my well being at risk. (It's a stretch, but I've seen crazier litigation)

For you legal beagles it's PA title 75 section 1301 sub sec A

Also it's a postal trailer so it might be exempt (?) I've heard that from other sources. But exactly who owns it is unclear (especially since it hasn't been registered since 2013!)

If nothing else at least let this serve as a reminder to check you papers and permits! I can't tell you how often this stuff is overlooked, especially at the megas.

11. Infosaur

Might have an out here:

(A reading from the Green book of JJ Keller,,,)

390.29 (b) (paraphrases)

I have 48 hours to submit proper paperwork to the authorities. If it's in somebody's file cabinet somewhere and I can produce it. I might not be in trouble.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.