Two logs. How to?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DDlighttruck, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    I've spent the last hour searching and I give up.

Can someone give me some tips on running two sets of logs? I've been scratching my head over this for awhile. The only way I can think of to make it work is to have one set of logs starting at 8 am, and one starting at 8 pm. (Just examples. Day logs/night logs?) Have 'em both started and updated at the start of the week, and keep them updated as you go.

The problem is the one night here and there that some extra hours might be nice, I don't have time to sit and colour in 6 or 7 extra log sheets.

1- Border crossings, scales, tolls and fuel. What DOES the DOT have access to?

2- I try to be polite and friendly to DOT and LEO. However, can I keep my pie hole shut if they question me on my logs? Example, logged 15 minutes for loading. Reality, I had a flatbed and had to tarp and chain down for 1.5 hours. Do I have to answer what the load was, and what kind of trailer?

3- I find the logs that I play with tend to look more like Swiss cheese than normal logs. I find I can only squeeze so many hours out of one day, before even I am looking at it skeptically.

I don't even know if this is the right forum for this. I thought about the ask an O/O forum, but I am sure they all run legal, all the time, and probably couldn't help :rolleyes: :p

ramblingman Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Finalsomnia

Finalsomnia Medium Load Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Woodstock, GA
    I doubt you'll get much of a straight answer here, because running two log books is expressly illegal.

JReding, ajohnson, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Some of us have figured out how to run one log book rather than two. Its too much to share publicly obviously this kind of stuff is not allowed to be discussed on this forum. So youre not going to get much out of anyone. Who knows the illegal side of things.

5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Could ask a DOT officer how others have done it in the past so you know how not to do it, but then you might be seeing the inside of the grey bar motel. Dont do it. Highly illegal and not worth it

6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    All that extra time you "save" will go into you trying to balance the books. The irony of it all is, if you do your method, you will still run out of hours on the same day, 12 hours apart.

"Six, are you going to help me or not?"

Reread @S M D's post. He gave you the answer.

DDlighttruck and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  7. 2duisperyear

2duisperyear Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Okland Co , Mi
    I used keep trucking app.
    B4 e logs... I 've never ran 2 logs
    But app allowed to do some editing with click of a button .

8. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    ELD Supporters thank you for posting this thread. *sigh*

roadmap65, mp4694330, Razorwyr and 6 others Thank this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    It's like asking who to contact to smuggle illegals across the southern border.

10. Nitemare13

Nitemare13 Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Hudson, Fl
    A lot of scales time stamp your tag # when you cross. And tolls are time stamped. Gotta be careful!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    In this day & age, with time stamps on scale crossings/POE's (especially if you use an ez pass), time stamps on your fuel tickets (if you used ANY kind of credit/fuel card), cell phone records, security cameras, etc.... just doesn't make sense to "fudge" any more than absolutely necessary, and even then, not by much. If you aren't running pretty close most all of the time, you may not get caught at a scale or even during an audit...but if you EVER have the unfortunate luck of being involved in anything more than a minor fender bender, the plaintiff's attorney has access to everything and it'll cost you much more than you made by cheating. If you happened to be "at fault" in that incident and anybody was hurt/killed, the state's attorney has access to that same info to hang you. Keeping 2 books anymore just isn't worth the risk. Besides, if you can't make it look good in 1 book, you're working too hard.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.