Uber driving

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by wsyrob, Nov 21, 2015.

1. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    My pick up truck broke down this afternoon and I caught a ride using Uber for the first time from the shop. It was painless and efficient. I am wondering if anyone does a little moonlighting on Uber on home time. I know to be totally legal you would need to log those hours.

I have a cousin in Charlotte who drives for Uber who said he made $200 in less than 8 hours shuttling Eagles fans around town when the Panthers played the Eagles a few weeks ago. Thinking about working some graveyard shifts taking drunks home after the bars close. We also have Wake Forest Univewrsity here in town to drum up business. Maybe I will get a car full of drunk sorority chicks.

runningman0661 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BackIsSore

BackIsSore Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    USA
    I know of a 777 pilot who does Uber during his time off just as a way to socialize, but he does alright also. I wouldn't mind doing it, but hate the thought of people leaving scuff marks inside my vehicle! Let us know how it goes.

MachoCyclone and HorseShoe Thank this.
  4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Screenshot_2015-11-21-17-03-22.png

Is that a sign on bonus? Idk, something seems a bit off to me.

5. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    I've not used it yet, but calling a number for a taxi was never a pain nor was it hard. Everyone says Uber is so easy! Yeah, so is calling the 1-800 taxi number and telling them your location.

Anyway, (hey, you know I can't post withiut a rant) It would be great if you have a nice, easy to clean car/suv. I couldn't do it..Someone would leave their trash in my car/suv and review me as the ###hole when l tell them to be a responsible adult

truckon Thanks this.
  6. wsyrob

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I don't think Lieu is legit. Probably related to some prince in Nicaragua.

skellr Thanks this.
  7. wsyrob

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    The biggest attraction for me was no cash changes hands. That is better than Taxi driving.

8. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    This is great from a security standpoint (as a driver) as well.

9. TBonze

TBonze Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Absolutely love to use Uber! They are quick easy, always around. The people own their newer cars and they have always been clean. The drivers have always been sociable and clean smelling/looking. App usually says that I can have an Uber in 10 minutes, but it's usually about 5.

The cost is considerably less also. A cab from the club to my house is $20. An uber is $10.

10. TBonze

TBonze Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    On another note, not sure that I want to be driving on my time off! Sounds like a lot of excess wear and tear on my car.

11. wsyrob

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I hear you. If i do it I may get a beater that gets better gas mileage than my pick up truck. Or get my wife a new car and use her Honda Pilot with 180K miles on it. I plan to retire in about 7 years. This could be something to do then. You work when you want to. Just turn on the app.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.