Uber is coming for your trucking jobs

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by roadranger550, Aug 29, 2016.

1. roadranger550

roadranger550 Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2016
    LGarrison Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Well, don't hold your breath, roadranger. It won't be any time soon. Besides, anybody driving a rig over 26,000lbs is going to have to satisfy the same DOT, FMCSA, MVD, and all the other entities governing commercial motor vehicles as the rest of us. It's not like just jumping in your car and heading for a GPS location. I saw that article, and it didn't bother me at all. I've pulled in to thousands of shippers and consignees, backed into their docks for loading and unloading purposes, d/h when I can, and it's still a learning curve nearly every time. Unless there's somebody sitting in the cab waiting to take over, the threat to a professional CDL driver is not anywhere near the event horizon. IMHO

FLYMIKEXL, Blackshack46, rachi and 3 others Thank this.
  4. roadranger550

Jun 20, 2016
    I must disagree, SBJ. I think OTR will be infested first since the auto-shift was invented and used mostly by the OTR outfits. They will start out with drivers behind the wheel, but that's just a test bed idea.

After that, they will have a lead rig with a driver, and the following rigs will have no drivers at all. As for backing, the warehouses/barns will just have hostlers back the trailers into the docks, for the time being. Backing into a recessed dock during P&D work will still be a long time coming to automation, I agree with that much, as the consignees will not have hostlers there to do so.

Automation is THE coming thing, and y'all best believe that. Robots and computers dont need to be paid, take time off, go on strike or get sick. I just ordered two Subway sandwiches at the kiosk next to the building, by pressing a few touchscreen buttons and entering my credit card in the slot.

No teller there at all, just people putting the sandwiches together inside and handing them to me.

That's our future, and not just for people who happen to drive trucks for a living. Sure am glad I will be retired in a couple of years. Trucking aint nothing like it used to be, and local pickup & delivery drivers will be needed soon enough, to do what cannot be done by robotics, until they invent a humanoid robot that can do so. That is what will take time, not self-driving OTR rigs.

Better hone up on your people skills drivers, cause OTR is dying out, unless you like working for way less $$$ then you currently make. Sorry if the facts hurt, just being honest here, that's all.

Too, already LOTS of freight is going cross-country on inter-modal trains and has been for quite a long time.

So you younger drivers need to learn to drive local/delivery routes, hosteling trailers around the yard, or pull short hauls from your barns out to the R/R inter-modal yards and then back again.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Starboyjim, Flatbedder73 and Dharok Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I would not be surprised.

Buy 50 rigs, UBER them and sit home raking in what the trucks profit each week. Who knows I might be the next JB... 20K trucks. or 100K Trucks. All robots. Er people willing to sign themselves to Uber for that.

For every change in our way of life lies both a oppertunity and also a loss. I see it as a loss.

I guess if I had 40K worth of stuff (And we actually negotiated a rate from Fairbanks AK to Arkansas which turned out to be a few thousand dollars more than the freight itself was worth... believe it or not...) I would whistle up a truck if I did not rent one myself and go get it.

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    That's the future of fast food, and you can thank the $15/hr crowd for that. The establishments are trying to control labor costs, because their customers won't be able to buy their food if they raise prices enough to pay that uneducated, inexperienced, unskilled kid to take orders and collect money when a kiosk does the same job.

The difference is that kiosk can't kill anyone if a sensor malfunctions. worst case scenario, your order gets screwed up and you receive incorrect change...which probably would've happened anyway with the uneducated, inexperienced, unskilled kid who was demanding $15/hour.

Dharok Thanks this.
  7. roadranger550

Jun 20, 2016
    As do I. The rigs these days are so easy and nice to drive, compared to the rigs we used to
    drive back in my youth, its absolutely unbelievable. COE was popular back then, which I never liked. Owner-Operators tended to buy the "Classic" models then, not Cab Over Engine rigs.

I cant believe how darn NICE it it to drive a truck with hydraulic power-steering, air-conditioning, blue-tooth/CD/MP3 radios, power mirrors and windows and all the other things that new drivers take for granted these days. Back then if you had air-powered seats and air-assisted power steering, you thought you were pretty lucky.

Hell, now its like driving a very large modern day pickup-truck to me, except for the multi-speed manual transmissions, which I love over the auto-shift transmissions. Those POS, I dont like whatsoever. Lets face it: it took some time for all of us to learn to properly shift a non-synchronized transmission. Automatics are not only slow to shift, but for we older drivers, they just dont cut it and they never will, period.

I know I will NOT like seeing driver-less rigs in the near future, despite what information I have posted here. At least I feel I need to warn the younger drivers of what is coming down the road.

I am also not keen on Uber at all. They are as cutthroat as a bunch of pirates, but they are not the only outfit that is looking to put driver-less rigs (and cars) on the road either. Lots of OTR outfits are doing the same thing.

And many stores are already cutting staff using self-checkout lanes and kiosks. This does not bode well for people who need to work, at all. You have to wonder how people who are unemployed due to automation/robotics will be able to pay their bills and taxes. Or will they?

I see idle hands doing some real dirty work to make a buck, if this trend continues, and I dont see how it can be stopped, whatsoever.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    When a driver is in the lead vehicle and a red light catches the 3 behind him what then?

BoostedTeg and bzinger Thank this.
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I have never used a "self check-out" lane. When prompted to by a store employee because of the line at the lane with the cashier, I simply ask if I'm going to receive a discount for having to scan my own items. If they aren't going to give me a discount for doing the work, then they can pay the cashier to ring me up.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I also don't use the self checkout. They have the weights down to a handful of grams tolerance in the freaking machines. If they want me to use the self checkout, pay me. *Holds hand out. Otherwise I find me a pretty and have her take care of the checking out.

LindaPV Thanks this.
  11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Maybe I'll become a dot officer and say the tires need replaced. My other friends that used to drive will open a successful tire shop in close proximity. More than one way to skin a cat.

This is just another example of trying to fix something that isn't broken. What else is new? I kind of doubt the public will accept driverless trucks after the first one screws up and smashes a car and Fox news gets a hold of it. Think we'll still call it "progress"?

Starboyjim Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.