Uh-oh,I was hoping it wasnt the truck this time.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Trckdrvr, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Ya that guy with the radio signal jamming device is the type of driver who likes to get in the hammer lane and go 5 mph under the speed limit. He's nothing but a rude and arrogant control freak.

3. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Maybe if theres a signal jammer with limited range like 4 or 5 ft that can be installed in vehicles and only function when the vehicle is on,that will solve the problem.

4. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    I'm sure they will start to put something like that in all CMVs sooner or later. But I'm sure the big cell phone companies will be out in force lobbying against it. They make a lot of money off of people using cell phone's when their driving.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You can't implement anything like this. No way to know when a phone is being handled by the driver or a passenger. Besides, even if there was a safety measure that prevented a message being read as long as the phone was "moving", they would find a way to hack around the safety feature.

Lot's of trucks have teams in them. Not fair to kill the off-time of the off duty driver not being able to surf or text until the truck is at a truck stop for fuel for that very limited time.

6. zinita17601

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Im not that tech savvy but i think every phone have a unique IP address(like a computer).im sure they can invent something that only locks one phone at a time.when u apply for a job u provide the trucking company with the ip they programmed into the device and link to your eld,the minute u log yourself on duty driving u loose ur connectivity.man i think i got a business idea

7. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    You get a unique ip address but it changes quite often as you jump towers or lose signal and regain it.

8. zinita17601

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    So how different towers will be able to identify the same phone as it moves?

9. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    The IPs transfers between different regions under control of several different towers but once it gets to the edge of that region it drops off and reconnects.
    Most won't ever even notice because 1 it happens pretty dang quick. 2 regions are pretty dang big.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    He's referring to the phone's Unique chip ID

tsavory Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.