Ultra cab flat top conversion.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Roberts450, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Hey guys. I did a search but dint come up with much info but Im looking on info for converting an ultr cab stand up to a flat top sleeper. I like the looks of a flat top and the lower heigth for going under the loading racks at the chemical shippers I visit but yet want a little more height then the flat top provides. Im thinking the ultra cab height will give me just enough room to stand up yet still give me plenty of clearance at the loading racks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    My son has a 99 model ultra cab with a 63" bunk. We ordered a flat top conversion from 4 states. Its hard to tell its not a factory flat top. His buddy went with a different company. It was hell putting on an has a lot flatter corner that doesn't look right. I agree the extra 4 to 6 inches makes a lot of difference

peterbilt_2005 Thanks this.
  4. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Cool. How is it for interior height?

I currently drive a 386 with a 36" flat top so no way to even think about standing up in the bunk. Ive looked at ultra cabs and stood up in the cabs but its kinda hard to picture it in the sleeper.

5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Its got a good 4 to 6 inches on my 359 flat tops.

Roberts450 Thanks this.
  6. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    I've seen them going down the road. They look fine, but you can tell there is something a little different about it. My first truck was an FLD mid roof. I think they have about the same height on the inside. I'm 6'3" and there was plenty room in the mid roof.

7. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    There are 2 ways to do this. As wore out stated with what his son did or the way I THINK and I say THINK for a reason I'm going to do mine. You can purchase a flat top conversion kit for the bunk and keep the ultracab roof height for head room or you can cut the huck bolts from the cab and replace the ultracab top with a flatop cap and then swap the bunks out.

Each has their pros and cons I've seen a couple ultracab conversions I can tell the difference up close but not at a distance. It's a big job to do it the other way swapping the caps and you'll need a huck gun which will run you 1000+ and the caps aren't cheap if you can't come across a used one. I'm lucky enough to have access to a flat top scrap truck I'm hoping I get to pull some parts from soon.

There used to be a company called truck rods that built flat top bunks that were ultracab height but they have since stopped building them from what I have seen.

8. truckingmechanic

truckingmechanic Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2015
    What is the windshield difference of these two types?

9. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Windsheilds are the same regardless

10. Beeker22

Beeker22 Bobtail Member

May 31, 2018
    Is there a difference in looks as far as a unibilt flat top and a normal flat top?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.