Unbiased Opinions

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by VirginiaGuy, Aug 25, 2016.

1. VirginiaGuy

VirginiaGuy Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Good afternoon all -

I need an expert(s) opinion. If you look at the picture attached, would you say the stopped truck in the picture was turning left from the left lane or right lane? If the truck was 'swinging wide' to make the turn, would it have gone so far right as to end up in this position? I'm sorry I don't have a closer picture, hopefully you can conclude an opinion or find a way to zoom.

Thank you to any and all that take the time to answer. I just need some peace of mind.

[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VirginiaGuy

Aug 25, 2016
    I apologize in advance for not placing this in the correct area. I should have put it in the General Public forum.

4. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    It looks like the truck is being directed by ground folks. From a stopped picture you can't tell much. He could even be backing. Is there more to the story?

VirginiaGuy Thanks this.
  5. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Like Wooly Rino said need more info

6. VirginiaGuy

Aug 25, 2016
    I'm sorry, I usually provide too much detail. The truck was involved in an accident, this is where the truck stopped. It was an open road at the time of the accident, no slow down or safety personnel involved. Thank you Wooly Rhino.

7. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    My opinion is the right lane. It looks to me that the back of the trailer is in right lane yet. If they had turned from the left lane the trailer wouldn't be that far back.

okiedokie, passingthru69, crb and 2 others Thank this.
  8. VirginiaGuy

Aug 25, 2016
    Thank you Jumbo - I just got back from Door County, WI. Go there every summer. Beautiful part of the state from Appleton north. I really enjoy interacting with locals. If there was a job market for me, I'd move in a heartbeat.

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Not saying your wrong, Jumbo...but, there's quite a bit of info being left out. It looks as if he's making that turn from the right lane, but if he's involved in an accident, why is the accident 200 ft in front of him?

AModelCat and VirginiaGuy Thank this.
  10. VirginiaGuy

Aug 25, 2016
    The picture was taken from the point the other vehicle stopped. My friend was coming down the hill, behind the truck. He maintains the truck moved right when the lanes split from 1 to 2, he was a couple of hundred yards behind and moved to go left, back up the other side (uphill climb). The truck turned sharp left, from the right lane in front of him and he felt he was too close to brake (minivan with trailer attached), he had no options right (truck was in right lane, left lane, and moving into the other two lanes - so he veered left to avoid contact and was clipped by the front of the truck. Nobody injured (thank God). Truck was moved shortly after this picture and drove off after trooper investigated. My buddies van/trailer are totaled. He showed me the pic, asked my opinion. I'm biased because he's my friend, but from my layman's eye, I think the truck was in the right lane. I wanted to seek out non-biased opinions of the men/women who make these turns for a living and see if what he said was true - the truck turned left, from the right lane. The trooper had 4 witnesses (my buddy, the truck driver, and someone oncoming and someone behind my buddy). The trooper said the oncoming witness said the truck was in the left lane and turning left, my buddy then veered around him and was hit. The trooper said the oncoming witness had a better viewpoint than the person behind my friend who said the same thing, truck was right lane, turned left. If the right lane was available, why would my friend have gone left (oncoming traffic) to avoid collision? He could have gone right of the turning truck. My buddy sent this picture to the trooper (no one else took any pictures) who is writing the report (has indicated my buddy will be cited) and asked him to re-consider, based on this picture.

11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I could see it happening if there was a vehicle there waiting to make a left turn.

I can't tell what lane the truck was turning from. That tri axle on the trailer could have easily pulled the truck backwards after it stopped. All that rubber acts just like a rubber band when your tying to turn.

VirginiaGuy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.